British Lung Foundation
34,834 members42,179 posts

Sick note

Just a quick one.

I didn't go to work 30/10 due to chest, I went in when I shouldn't of the next day 31/10 but came home 5hrs earlier, 1/11 went to hospital, put on Erythromycin tablets for 7 days, it's now 2/11 and I'll be calling work explaining what happened yesterday and I'll call 3/11 too so when does my self cert of 7 days start? I'm confused to when I may have to get a sick note and to when it should start from.. Any help?

6 Replies
oldestnewest

I would say that your self cert began on 30 October, the first day you had off sick.

2 likes

So then if I go back Monday I won't need a sick note off my GP, but if I feel still unwell Monday I will need a sick not from 6/11?

Thanks in advance

1 like

If your going home is countes as sick then you need to count from there. The usual time period would be 5 days before you need a certificatet. Take care hope you feel better soon.

1 like

It's 7 days now, so it be from tue 31st October as I went in at 630am lasted till 930am? Monday 30th I didn't go in at all?

1 like

NHS explain it here nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1062.aspx?... and as for working part of the day this explains the rules:

For statutory sick pay purposes, once an employee has begun work on a day, that day cannot count as a day of incapacity. However, if the employee arrives for work and does no work before going off sick, it is deemed to be a day of incapacity.

Employers would, I think, see the first day as an absence day, the next day was a work day (during which you were paid - even though you left early) so the first day of the sick period is 2/11 because to claim from 31/10 you would be looking to be paid for 1/11 by BOTH your employer AND the SSP scheme which obviously is wrong.

Hope this helps and makes sense

Good luck with the exacerbation!

4 likes

Thank you that makes alot more sense now :)

1 like

You may also like...