Hi there heavy breathers. Here's a little something I'd like to share with you....
The wifey and I decided to buy a Halogen Oven after reading great reviews from people who own them; a friend of ours has had one for many months and uses it regularly and loves it. And so we bought one from Argos.
Of course, it would've been a good idea before buying one to consider where it could be placed in the kitchen. The first thing we discovered was that it wouldn't fit on any of our worktops because they all have fitted wall cabinets above them - and with the Halogen Oven having a lift-off lid, using it would be impossible and dangerous. I spent a few days scratching my head thinking about where we could put it? Then the light popped on in my brain suggesting I place it on top of the cooker. Yup, it worked! But it was quite a reach to lift the lid and place the uncooked food inside the cooker bowl itself. But hey, if you don't try you don't succeed.
Okay, we decided to cook 2 frozen cod steaks in breadcrumbs on the lower shelf for our very first Halogen-cooked meal. On went the lid, and the heat level and timer set. Then blast off! The fish would take 40-minutes to slowly cook through properly.
The time arrived to take out the cooked fish, and I raised the safety handle and lifted off the lid, and without thinking first, I grabbed the side of the lid to slide it onto the lid-rest to cool. This didn't quite go to plan as the instant I grabbed the very hot lid, the searing pain in the fingers and thumb of my right hand made me put down the lid on the nearby worktop and run for the cold water tap to immerse my burning fingers under it. Meanwhile, the lid was slowly scorching the worktop. Tip: use oven gloves or mitts when handling hot stuff.
The nurse at the Community Health Centre informed me the burns weren't too serious as she put some cream on the affected areas then covered them with a light dressing.
Now I'm not a bloke who easily quits, and there was no way I was going to let that oven make a fool of me twice! And so I decided I'd cook a small chicken for my next attempt a few days later. Only this time I wore oven gloves ...
The nurse at the Community Health Centre said the burns on my forearms were not too serious and they'd heal in time, though probably leave a nasty scar. She also said that I shouldn't cook with rolled-up sleeves in future.
The Halogen Oven was cleaned and put back in the box, and will be for sale shortly on Ebay.