help and advice please

for the last 3 days ive been wheezing more and using my reliver about 8 times a day , i have got a bit of flu at the moment and am not sleeping for long as i wake up coughing which then sets the wheezing off again. I am absolutley shattered. my peak flow has been 320 at best (usually blow 450)ive been sitting in bathroom running shower cubicle and that isnt helping . really dont want to go to the hospital as its a 25 mile drive and tbh dont want to unless i really have to as its going to be a long wait (generally 4-5hours in a n e ) before im seen , im really not sure if i need to go or if there is something else i can do to help my symptoms at home or if its just the flu /fever/temp making the wheezing worse .

does any one have any advice - thanks for reading x

8 Replies

• You could go to/call out of hours, they'll be able to help. They'd probably give you some oral steroids. If your paek flow drops so that you're really struggling then go to a&e. You almost certainly won't have to wait long at all as they treat difficulty breathing/asthma as a priority. I hope you're feeling better soon

• thank you for the advice , my peak flow has dropped to 300 this morning and ive taken my reliever more, have already got steroid inhalers so will ring dr out now - just didnt want to with it being christmas and i really hate ""wasting ""there time. thank you very much xx

• I hope you get seen quickly and are feeling better soon.

I've just had to ring out of hours for my littlest asthmatic and it's a 6 hour wait for a call back. I know he'd be seen quicker in a&e but we aren't at that stage yet and I don't want to waste anyone's time.

• well went to hospital only to be sent away as they have norovirus outbreak so told me to see emergency dr at another hospital , have to ring them first- which i did by this point ive had 2 bad asthma attacks which pretty much had me collapsed in a heap on the floor- the dr rang me and told me to use my reliever and to book to see my own gp. (if i wasnt feeling so bad id make a complaint to local nhs trust) so i will be ringing gp first thing as ive had 2 attacks in 4 days both of which floored me. i hate having no control of my condition -usually i control it well , manage my triggers and have recently lost 7 stone to help my other medical conditions which i assumed would help with my asthma but no if anything its getting much worse (peak flow today at 270). hope everyone else is keeping well xx

• Oh no, that's not good. I think you should make a complaint when you're feeling better. I'd have thought that the very least they could have done would've been to give you some Prednisolone. I hope your pf picks up soon. x

• Dominique

so sorry to hear youre so rubbish at the moment and then had all that hassle with the hospital on top of that. i can sympathize from past experiences. as others have said you could consider filing a complaint when youre feeling more up to it.

i do hope things improve for you soon. let us know how you get on.

p.s. are you by any chance french in origin or nationality. the name sounds quite french ;-) im a british expat living in france...

wishing ypu a speedy recovery. if in doubt make a fuss and get the help you need!

Rose xx

• my dads family are french but alas i was born here in england.

so have now reached 4 attacks in 14 days peak flow was down to 250 but got an appointment wednesday just gone. spent 90mins in with the prescribing nurse who was not happy at all - signed me off work for 2 weeks and has upped all my meds - my peak flow average was 250 ,my blood pressure was 190/110 (too high for me not normally have high blood pressure) and she said my recent changes to my lifestyle should have improved my asthma.(over last 2 years i have lost 7 stone and go to the gym 5 times a week and eat a much healthier diet). i have to go back on monday and wednesday and friday as they want to monitor my blood pressure and my peakflow. have also lodged a complaint witht he local trust over being sent away from a n e when i'd had a few attacks.

• Oh dear dominique sorry youre struggling so much.

190/110 is pretty high! I get told off if i get over 130/90 (though am in heart failure so they like to keep mine extra low ;-)

Let us know how you get on. Good for you that you decided to file a complaint. Stop the problem happening to someone else (or thats the theory anyway...)

Hugs for a fast recovery.

Rose xx

You may also like...