Asthma UK community forum
9,887 members16,645 posts


My asthma nurse told me back in summer that I might have to go and see a chest consultant. I'm not keen on this idea at all since I really do not see what else they can do. As some of you have a consultant that you see can you tell me please what help they are to you? I know that this is probably a dumb question but I think it would give me peace of mind if I can have an idea of what I can or should expect in case I have to see one. This is something that has really bothered me.

I have an appointment with the nurse on Monday.

Sorry if this post is in the wrong section but I wasn't sure which one it should go in.

2 Replies

A consultant will be specialist in respirirtory medication and be able to order more specialist tests. The results of which may well have an impact on your treatment, it is possible that the asthmsa symptoms are masking something else some people here have been treeated for years for asthma only to find out they were actually suffering from something else. If you are not getting good control or need more and more medication then it makes a lot of sense to get checked out by a specialist. Ask of there is on in your area with a special insterest in asthma. Look on it as chance to find out more and get a proper asthma MOT.



Thank you. If the nurse brings it up again I won't argue. My asthma used to be under fairly good control but since I had 2 chest infections within the space of 6 weeks in Nov/Dec 2004 I seem to have got steadily worse and I can't seem to get on top of it again. A doctor told me in July I would get better and it would take a month but it is taking longer than that which shouldn't come as any surprise really. :) Oh well!

Anyway thanks again.


You may also like...