Asthma UK is reviewing its asthma attack advice to make sure that it is easy to understand and in line with what people with asthma are told by their healthcare professional. If you are a person with asthma or a parents/carer we want to hear from you!
Currently our advice to people with asthma is to:
1. Take your reliever inhaler (usually blue)
2. Sit up and loosen tight clothing
3. If no immediate improvement, continue to take one puff/dose of reliever inhaler every minute for five minutes
4. If your symptoms do not improve in five minutes â€“ or if you are in doubt â€“ call 999 or a doctor urgently
5. Continue to take one puff of your reliever inhaler every minute until help arrives
We want to know:
- What you think of our advice â€“ is it clear enough?
- Is it the same as the advice you receive from your doctor or asthma nurse?
- Has your doctor or asthma nurse given you a copy of Asthma UKâ€™s asthma attack card or Personal Asthma Action Plan or something similar?
- Any other comments you would like to make?
Health Promotion Team