Help - anxiety / irritability affecting work

The doctor thought this could be connected to the salbutomol and suggested increasing the preventer instead of taking so much. My symptons improved at the time but I had a bad cold and had to take 2 days off (and I'm now back on an absence monitoring plan) and I get really anxious at work and there have been occasions when people have given negative feedback to my manager about it. It can't happen again and I need advice on coping. My doctor isn't very helpful (I'm going back next week anyway - I need to talk to him about the medical consent form work are sending) and I'm chasing the consultant appointment.

I'm also worried about the nose bleeds I'm having.

I've got a mentor now at work who I can talk to about everything which should help but I'm terrified that if they think I can't cope I'll lose my job.

6 Replies

• I was sorry to hear about your concerns. Do you think the anxiety is connected with the asthma, in that you are worried about having an attack? A high state of anxiety can be very tiring which would lead to irritability.

According to another post on the discussion boards asthma is treated as a long term illness and can't be discriminated against, but I do appreciate your concerns regarding time off. I used to work for a social work department and they hated me being there when my asthma was bad and I had my asthmatic barking cough but they also hated me having more time off. I couldn't win.

Hang in there and check out some of the other boards too. Maybe others will have more knowledge than me.

• I worry about having attacks but also about people thinking I can't do my job or that I don't want to help them when I'm too out of breath to talk.

I also don't like going away from my desk when I'm having an attack (people have suggested going into a room so I'm not disturbed - I have a constant stream of people doing help - but I don't want to alone).

The Absence monitoring plan I am on now apparently gives me more protection as it's one for where there is an underlying condition.

The worst thing is I like my job normally (although the workload and lack of support get to me sometimes).

• Good luck at getting everything sorted at work.

The nosebleeds couldn't be down to your preventer could they? I started with serious nosebleeds within days of starting mine & they stopped as soon as I started holding my nose to make myself exhale through my mouth as I took it (it's such a great look, thank goodness I don't have to do that with my reliever!). Despite this, and the fact that I was in infants the last time I'd had a nosebleed previously, & 30 when they started on a daily basis, my nurse refused to believe that they were related!

• What preventer are you on? I started getting nosebleeds when I first had symbicort, I had only ever had one before (from falling flat on my face and breaking my nose in primary school) and suddenly started getting at least one a day... they stopped completely when I was taken off symbicort and the only nosebleeds I've had since were when i was put back on symbicort... And the drs still dont believe it's the symbicort!

• Do you take a steroid nose spray for anything like hayfever or allergic rhinitis? I take flixonase at either 1 or 2 puffs twice a day depending on my symptoms and sometimes have experienced problems in the past with nose bleeds. I'm usually ok if my dose is reduced for a while and when possible I try to come off the spray for a couple of months in the middle of winter. Have just restarted it again as think I've detected hayfever signs already!

Just an idea,

Take care

Sparkly Fairy

• I take a Beclametasone preventer and Cetirizine Hydroclorie for my allergies. I don't have a nasal spray although the Asthma UK nurse I spoke to the other ay suggested it.

The doctor thinks my nose is inflamed an infected after my cold an has prescribed Fucidin cream.

You may also like...