Log in
AF Association
17,123 members20,225 posts

Apicaban and side effects

Here I am again, much has happened lately, first i had very bad toothache and dentist says teeth Ok and I get course of penicilin, After 2 days the regurgitating of blood stained foul saliva 4-5 times a night became the same but no blood, that seems to be amazing, just colourless but still with me. 2 weeks later I have 2 TIA episodes in 1 hour and end up in stroke unit Bath RUH, I seem to be ok and sent home , no driving for month. I explained that I put my troubles down to Apixaban. the most understanding Dr. said throw everything away and we will give you different, never mind your GP. a few days prior to the dramas I had a PH test, the results of which say ' no reflux but you dont swallow properly' that is the first of 3-4 consultants to tell me what seems to be right, I have no idea whats nexrt but do not expect to get that miracle cure I wanted.

I am 81 so I am not running about, just being lazy. I will supply list of drugs if needed, it just goes to show that there is sometimes a mystery, I am smiling a bit more now but there has not been time yet to see results.

11 Replies
oldestnewest

You're the second person I have heard of recently who has had a stroke on apixaban

1 like
Reply

Can you add to that? Thanks

Reply

Hi mum, I know you mean no harm, but making that stark comment is likely to scare a few people. I take Apixaban and from the many reports I have seen and the many talks I’ve listened too from EP’s and Cardiologist’s, it’s reported that Apixaban provides marginally better protection from stroke than other DOAC’s and was deemed to be more effective than warfarin, although all performed well in the various tests and provided high levels of protection.

We know anticoagulants do not guarantee protection from having a stroke but there could be a wide variety of different reasons why your contacts have experienced a stroke problem. I’m not having a moan, but I’m sure you will understand the point I’m making......

9 likes
Reply

Flapjack

Regarding your response to mom’s post, you took the words right out of my mouth 👍🏻 As you said, sure no harm was meant, but all the same, to those of us who take it.😳.. ..

entirely different if we were pointed in the direction of a research article..

It’s bad enough that we have fear instilled into us to take any of this stuff anyway..

As I for one, even six years down the line am still full of as much anxiety from taking the meds as I would be if I didn’t 😳

3 likes
Reply

Yes Mumknowsbest that worried me as well as my EP is thinking of changing me from Rivaroxaban to Apixaban and I had a bit of a scary jolt when you wrote that. Thing is we all know (especially when you get to my age) a lot of people who have had strokes etc without being on Apixaban.

3 likes
Reply

What dose are you on and whatvweight are you? Might have a bearing.Apixaban is rated safer than Warfarin by some,or at least as good as.It may have saved you from a full stroke.

Hope you are better soon

Reply

Hi Anne, sorry to hear you have had such a difficult time. At least you seem a bit happier now but it must have all been very scary! It sounds as if you have had a number of different health issues hitting you at around the same time but doctors (not your GP) have reviewed your medication. Is this the case? Have they changed your Apixaban, if so, what are you taking know. As Wilsond says, there is every chance the Apixaban minimised the stroke but I’m not medically trained, the important thing is you are feeling better and maybe not too long before you are able to drive again......

2 likes
Reply

Apixaban is as good as what is out there I think if you have a tia it's down to age or eating habits or runs in the family it could happen on warfarin or even to a person without af

1 like
Reply

I have had most interesting comments. I must tell you I was not blaming Apixaban for my having the TIa but I have been blaming it for other things, namely spitting out blood stained saliva very night at least 4 times per night which started as soon as i took Apixaban 3years ago. which means lack of sleep and dreadful nightmares. The Drs know this but had failed to connect it. Maybe I may get a reprieve now that I am on Atorvastatin,Dabigatran and Lisinoril 5mg, Fingers crossed.

Reply

I'll be honest I spit out a bit of watered down saliva in the morning when I get up before brushing teeth

Reply

Rivaroxiban gave me dreadful diarrhea and apixaban gave me bruises and the odd nose bleed so I stopped taking them and feel a lot better for it. I only have paroxysmal AF and have very few very short episodes since I use flecainide if/when I get them. Doses are based on the average male and being female puts one at a disadvantage. I noticed that it is recommended to take half the dose of apixaban if you weigh less than 60kg and I weigh 62 kg which is most probably why I had the unpleasant side effects and might explain yours. The cardiologist said I had a 2.2% chance of having a stroke but I replied that gave me a 97.8% chance of not having one and the lovely EP agrees and says that blood clotting is not a problem unless AF occurs for a considerable time like 24 hours or so. There are other anticoagulants that you should ask to try if you really need them. Good Luck!

Reply

You may also like...