Further to my post "Cardioversion Medical Follow-up" the nurse of the triumvirate did call back today. The time-line is as follows:
1. follow-up with team -- end of June
2. EP -- sometime in July.
3. to ablation -- 6 months from EP ( information from educational session)
So, from persistent AF when my GP referred me to a cardiologist which was the end of January, it will be to the end of June (5 months) to get to the follow-up team, and 6 months to get to the EP (July). From there it will be 6 months to the ablation which is one year (January 2018). The conclusion is that I will be in long-standing persistent AF because it will be after one year that I will be in persistent by the projected time I can be scheduled for the ablation.
1. There was no concern at all that I was in persistent AF. The nurse was satisfied that I was on rate control with the ECG showing 82 bpm in AF.
2. The concern would be if I had heart failure, then I could be classified as "urgent."
3. There was no answer to my question whether the rate control was stopping the rogue electrical impulses from spreading. She merely reverted the answer back to my rate not being high, completely ignoring whether rate control is stopping or delaying the progression of the disease.
4. There was no concern to examine the patient from the point of view of how the disease was progressing.
5. There were a lot of questions targeting symptoms, and symptoms and symptoms, as if that was the only thing that mattered.
6. There was some problem as to why the chart could not be drawn up to schedule patients in.
7. There was no talk of another cardioversion and I never asked the question. I went through all that anxiety of whether I could be cardioverted because if not then the ablation wouldn't work to wait longer to guarantee the ablation won't work.
I did say to her, "You have been wonderful."
Conclusion: I have to degenerate to long-standing persistent atrial fibrillation (from being in day 11 at the GP office) before I can get an ablation and I don't even know if I'll even be a candidate in the province of British Columbia, Canada. I am at the point that I do not trust the AF clinic at all because I can see the scenario that they will say, no" despite all the waiting. After all, I'll be in long-standing persistent by then.
The system sucks here because, from my calculations, the cost to the medical system is greater by not ablating earlier as more touch-up jobs will have to be done let alone the health cost to the system. Private AF clinics in British Columbia, Canada do not exist; privatisation, for the most part, is forbidden.
What are my options?