Education before Participation: How is the safety of the participant protected?

The ethical and legal codes that govern medical practice also apply to clinical trials. In addition, most clinical research is federally regulated with built in safeguards to protect the participants. The trial follows a carefully controlled protocol, a study plan which details what researchers will do in the study. As a clinical trial progresses, researchers report the results of the trial at scientific meetings, to medical journals, and to various government agencies. Individual participants' names will remain secret and will not be mentioned in these reports.

How has your experience been in clinical trials? Did you feel safe throughout your experience?

Skip

Featured Content

What do you think about clinical trials?

Complete this 15 minute survey and be in with a chance to win an Amazon voucher

Take the survey

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I took part in a clinical trial a long time ago. I always felt safe my doctors and nurses explained every detail of what would happen and why. What I didn't realize was that most of the treatment would have happened anyway, being in a clinical trial made me feel I got extra time and focus on me. I'm alive today because the drugs used to treat my condition were identified and developed by clinical trials

• Thank you for sharing your experience ChristinePP16! The extra attention you mentioned receiving is an important part of being involved in a clinical trial.

You may also like...