Interrupted radiation?

This post is motivated by a posting from Roger2Dodger, who is experiencing bad side effects of radiation.

I found an article on the Internet that seem to indicate that radiation should always be given continuously, without taking days off:

sciencedaily.com/releases/2...

The following article seems to say Yes, but maybe not ...

cancerworld.org/Articles/Is...

My own treatment was primarily HDR brachytherapy, but I also had 25 sessions of 3DCRT external beam radiation. In my case, the 25 sessions were administered on Monday-Friday with no treatment on the weekends. I also had a week off due to the Christmas - New Year holiday. In both cases, these off periods were for the convenience of the hospital staff. I would have been willing to go every day for 25 days if that would give me a better chance for a cure, but I was told that the treatment off periods would have no negative effect.

So I have a question: For those of you getting external beam radiation, were you given treatment every day of the week, or did the staff take the usual Saturday, Sunday and holiday days off?

And as a followup, how are you doing and how long has it been since your treatment?

Thanks.

Alan

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Alan, in early 2001, my PSA was 4.7. I had approximately 7 weeks of external radiation (no weekends), then had 3 weeks off followed by 126 seed Bachytherapy. (No hormone therapy).

My PSA had been non-detectable since Sept.2002.

Frank - Houston,Texas.

• Hi Frank do you remember your Gleason score?

• TinCanSailor-Texas, Wow! That will be 15 years. I hope you have a celebration of some kind. Your kind of results give hope to the rest of us.

• I just completed 39 sessions of IMRT for recurrent PCa, so I do not know if this differs from when you have radiation as a primary treatment. The treatments were not given on Saturday or Sunday. I do not know if that has any impact on effectiveness. I guess only time will tell, but I did like the break. Best wishes for a successful treatment.

• Sounds like weekends, and maybe holidays, off is pretty standard practice. I was surprised that in the articles I saw about interrupted radiation that was never mentioned. The focus was entirely on patients who failed to come in for their scheduled radiation.

I remember asking about the weekends and Christmas-New Year week off when I had my radiation and the rad-onc said it was no problem and would not affect the outcome of the treatment.

Hmmmm...

You may also like...