Oesophageal Patients Association
3,370 members2,107 posts

Book on Adenocarcinoma of the Esophagogastric junction

I have just finished reading a good book on the subject. It was published in 2010 and is quite up to date. It is a medical book and I did not understand a lot of the terminology but I found it very informative. It covers the increased prevalence,diagnosis,treatment, types of operations,post op treatment, radiotheropy and even molecular structure plus lots lots more. It is expensive to buy, around £140. Your local library can get you a copy for a small charge, but I would suggest this note will lead to a rush, so expect a delay. But remember it is a medical book and is not easy reading. It is a series of articles by numerous learned people in the subject.

Tital - Adenocarcinoma of the Esophagogastric Junction by Paul M.Schneider published by Springer.

ISBN 978-3-540-70578-9

e-ISBN 978-3-540-70579-6

DOI 10.1007/978-3-540-70579-6

Paul Schneider is a professor in the University of Zurich Hospital.

2 Replies

Medical text books are not everybody's cup of tea, but I did find this other reference for it.


Do not forget that adenocarcinoma is about 70% of the oesophageal cancer; the other 30% by-and-large is squamous cell carcinoma which is almost a different disease in terms of risk factors and so on. The proportions of each type are likely to be different for each country. As it happens, the UK is high in gastro-oesophageal reflux compared to other European countries.

I am not sure that our doctors would recommend medical text book reading for us - but they might be good to read if you cannot get to sleep at night!



There is no doubt its hard reading and is useful if anybody wants to get into the nitty gritty of the subject. It does cover a wide spectrum and covers squamous cell carcinoma. I would have found it useful to read before making my decision about different surgical options that were available and there is interesting comment on Halo Ablation of T1 cancer which seems to be of growing interest to the specialists which may be an alternative to major surgery but as always, discuss with your specialist/surgeon as like all treatments it has risks.

There are numerous comments about the proportions of different types of cancer in age/ethnic/group/countries etc and opinions/references from specialists all over the world. There are also numerous comments rearding treatments that may be beneficial but have not been proven as the sample of results is small, so these should again be discussed with your team. There are hundreds of references to further reading.The book is available if you want to struggle through reading it!


You may also like...