British Lung Foundation
39,532 members46,332 posts

Ear and chest infection ???

Just got back from holiday with a nasty ear infection for the last 3 days! Managed to get to see a Gp last night who has prescribed amoxicillin . Today I t looks like the start of a chest infection ! It would be very difficult to see another Gp quickly.

Don’t know whether to just carry on with the amoxicillin and risk a serious lung infection or take my Doxycycline instead of the ampicillin . Worried and feeling really poorly.

25 Replies
oldestnewest

Can you get a telephone appointment to talk it through , the nurse will know better but I think Amoxcillin should be ok!

3 likes

Thank you have just phoned . The Gp will phone me at some point. Really worried as I got Really bad chest infections last winter that went on and on.

1 like

Hi Hun, So Sorry you are feeling Poorly. Do you have your Rescue Meds at hand? I had run out of Amoxiclav that I take with Prednisolone. On a Phone Call to GP, I was able to collect from Pharmacy same day. I find that amoxiclav works for me when I start to get an Infection , I have to omit my Azithromycin for 7 days though. Hope you feel better very soon. Warm Cloth against the ear can work to ease the pain. best Wishes Hun. XXXX

2 likes

Thanks Hacienda . Just spoke to the Dr she’s advised me to take the Doxycycline ( my rescue pack ) along with the Amoxicillin as alone doxycycline will not treat my ear infection! My ear is in agony but more worried about the infection getting out of control in my lungs as I have both emphysema and bronchiectasis.

3 likes

Oh Dear , We all have to use AB's, we all don't "get on " with some. You know your own Body. Ear Infections are so painful, I feel for you, get through this day, I'm sure Tomorrow it will have eased off. I'll be thinking of you Carino. XXX

1 like

Glad you’ve spoken with your doctor Chriskho and wishing you a speedy recovery. Love and hugs. Xxx 😘

1 like

Sorry to know you're not well. I hope you start to feel better soon. Take care of yourself 💐

1 like

Thank you cx

Hi! I came back from Punta Cana on July 8 spent 2 weeks there. All was fine until the next day I arrived back to Montreal. A 12 day cold then a Folliculitis that was hotub related that cleared up with antibiotics. Then a nasty sinusitis and another cold that turned from viral to bacterial and going on week 3 of blocked right ear and I. An hear my pulse. ... my doc on vacation until oct 2. .. I just finished a 7 day course of Doxycin and did not like it. It’s also given for syphilis which I don’t have. I wanted Levaquin and doc refused. He’s not my doctor I saw him at a walk in.

1 like

Why were you prescribed 2 antibiotics? I wish I had been prescribed Levaquin like usual as Dioxycin did nothing for me

1 like

Hi Lola69 I had to have 2 different antibiotics as the tetracycline ( doxycycline ) would not treat the ear infection, as I have ear, sinus and jaw infection amoxicillin was needed. I need to use Doxycycline for respiratory infection which has unfortunately started at the same time .

2 likes

Hope it’s working for you. It did nothing for me and I am actually on my way back to see another doctor 👨‍⚕️. We are in the same boat Best wishes

OMG hope you start feeling better soon😘

Chriskho....hope you feel better real soon.🌻🌻🌻🌻

Take care!!

Meg

1 like

Thank you x

This is what happened to me last year Chiskho, and I ended up back and forth to the lung centre after 2 asthma attacks caused by a chest infection and allergic reaction to mould (might be worth testing you for that if you haven't had one already, this time of year is rife for it). Anyway, I tried Doxycycline for the first time this year, and it worked very well. Its a matter of trial and error with these things, but you need to breathe so no harm in trying. Be mindful you might feel a bit spaced out for a couple of days, but that's a normal side affect according to others on here that I asked. As for the ear infection I don't know, because I haven't suffered with that.

2 likes

Thanks Doxycycline is usually ok for me if I have a chest infection. I feel that an exacerbation of acid reflux probably started the infections off , maybe with being on holiday( alcohol and different food?)🙄

Hope you start to feel better soon 🌺🥀🌺x

2 likes

Thank you x

Try to see an emergency GP or Pharmacist for advice.

Dan

3 likes

Hello Chrisko,

Good you consulted again..sometimes we must take a couple of different antibiotics to cover the whole spectrum of bacteria. No eardrops?

I hope your stomach can bear it. Are you taking probiotics? It will help. When I was in England I used to buy Acidophilus from Solgar. Here I take Lactibiane with no lactose.

Do take care of yourself xx

Fran

1 like

Hi Fran thanks I have got ear drops from the pharmacy on holiday and I take probiotics everyday. I think the abs are controlling the ear infection now but feel the gerd I have at the moment is keeping my chest infection active🙄

1 like

Hi Chriskho

Great you did well. ENT said no sign of my Gerd yesterday, that was something at least so the Omeprazole 40mg, the Riopan Gel, the lactose free diet are doing the trick at last. Which one of those or all of them I won’t know..

Antibiotics will give you more acid, a vicious circle. If you do take anti-acid meds, it must be at least 2 hours before taking your antibiotics. I apologise if you know that already.

If you don’t have any get the doctor to give you some. A good dose of if as you have 2 antibiotics to take.

That’s quite good: drugs.com/ingredient/sucral...

Take care xx

Fran

1 like

I take lansoprazole once a day.Will take a second dose later I think. What is Riopan gel? Was on omeprazole for some time before.

1 like

Ok Riopan Gel Forte they are ready made long liquid gel anti acid sachets you can have in your bag and tear open and swallow 1/2h after meal or when you feel heartburn or stomach pain a max of 3 a day

and Molecule is Magaldratum 1600mg/10ml with a vanilla taste supposingly, but not minty which doesn’t suit me.

We can buy them OTC but they are expensive so I get them prescribed

You may also like...