British Lung Foundation


I have recently been kicked off JSA and presently trying to get on ESA all fine so far. but i live in a terrace house and cant always get upstairs without being totally out of breath.

I was looking to rent a bungalow and found one i like and is suitable and it says no DSS.

I have been told that i can not rent this house because i am on total benefits.

Well yes, i am so sorry for having emphysema.

So how am i actually supposed to get a place to live in that wont kill me if i am not allowed to rent the houses.

Confused as to why.

Is this actually legal. Hell this feels like discrimination because i am sick.

Advice would be much appreciated

10 Replies

Sorry I cannot be of much help but I have often wondered myself about the legality of advertisements for properties that exclude people on benefits. It would also appear to be a bit short sighted as surely payments from the state are more reliable than "ordinary" rent payers? Anyway, I hope someone comes along who can offer better advice. You could always ring the BLF helpline between 10 and 6 tomorrow - 03000 030 555.


Hi Gazath, sorry you are having problems with housing. It is a case of the few spoiling it for the many. My brother used to rent to DSS clients but in several cases the damage to the house outweighed the rent that he got. He too knocked it on the head in the end and now only rents to private tenants vetted by a letting agent. As I said, the few spoiling it for the many.



Have you tried your local authority with help from your doctor saying you need housing with no stairs ? take care


Hi Gazath, I don't know about the legalities, but maybe something in the Disability Discrimination Act might cover it. As Toci said, best place to start for advice would be the BLF helpline. They have experts on a number of topics. Let us know how youngest on, won't you.


Maybe if you explain your situation to them, - I can understand landlords wanting to exclude people who won't treat the property well, but am sure in the case of disability they could reconsider. Also, as Newlands has said, and I don't know how old you are, but how about sheltered housing/supported housing, a lot of them will accept you from 55, some even from 50. Sadie


No private landlord can be forced to accept any tenant, unless contracted by the local authority, when it then becomes viewed as social housing, but not with secured tenancy, more as a short 6 month lease. The social housing sector, ie Local Council and Housing Associations are the only landlords who can be held accountable for any form of discrimination. However, prospective tenants can apply, but it does not necessarily mean they will be housed. Most councils and Housing Associations operate on a points system.

If visiting housing officers deem your current living conditions are inappropriate, they may well prioritise your application. Emphasis on the may.


Hey there Sadie

I am 38 and my father of 73 lives with me so live in a rather stressful situation because not only am i looking after myself but i look after dad and with this added on i am feeling a little stressed.

Am sure i will get this all figured out eventually thankfully i have supportive friends and a wonderful girlfriend who comes over most nights to cook for us on a bad day.


Thanks Nowheeze


I'd certainly approach housing associations, especially if you are also caring for your father. They usually, with new build stock, cater for either ground floor access flats for the disabled, or bungalow style properties, some one and two bedroom units.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on. If it's any consolation to you, I am deemed appropriately housed and I live in a 1 up flat.

Sandra x x x


I agree with Sandra. In my area there are several housing associations who only rent to those with medical problems. They don't do bungalows but maybe a ground floor flat would be ok?

Good luck with it.

Bev x


You may also like...