Care package after severe asthma attack - Asthma UK communi...

Asthma UK community forum
15,832 members20,552 posts

Care package after severe asthma attack


Hi. I am currently in hospital after having an asthma attack, and was on a ventilator for 3 days. Does anyone know what to expect from a 'care package', and what I need to ask for? I need a letter from a asthma professional or GP to support my application to move to a ground floor flat (I'm currently living in a second floor flat and there is no lift in the building). Do you think that the 'care package' will include some support with getting a ground floor flat.


5 Replies

I thought care packages on discharge were like carers going in to support with personal care or everyday activities, like washing people or making sure they've eaten? Usually, though I'm sure not always, for older people who can't manage independently.

I honestly don’t know, Lisa. Like others have said I thought a care package was about help in the home and visits from the district nurse if needed. Both of my parents have had a care package on discharge but this was organised by a social worker while they were in hospital. If this is the case with you, then the social worker might be able to help you with the ground floor flat. If he/she can’t, he/she should be able to advise you on how to go about it.

You would need the occupational health team to be involved if you're wanting to move to a ground floor flat. Have a chat with the social services worker attached to your hospital ward as they arrange access to the team. Occ health assess your needs and recommend adjustments within the home and, if necessary, a change in living environment especially if you can't do stairs.

Otherwise the care package will consist of support in your current home and may be temporary or permanent, such as home visits by carers and/or district nurses.

With limited resources there is usually pressure for the family to be the first option to provide care, including moving in with them. So get your ducks in a row if you know what you need and be prepared to say an emphatic "no" if the first suggestions aren't practical for you and your family.

99Poke in reply to Poobah

Thanks so much for the info. I don't have any family in the country...they are in Ireland and I'm in London. I will make sure to ask for the OT and ward social worker. It's good to know that there are some possibilities of support out there.

Thanks, Lisa

I am not sure about that but social services wanted me to move to a bungalow as I live in a large house but I kept the lift which my husband had put in because of his heart failure. I have heart failure and asthma. I think they might help with a stairlift.

You may also like...