Access to expertise regarding MHA and... - Anorexia Bulimia ...

Anorexia Bulimia Care
2,879 members1,323 posts

Access to expertise regarding MHA and AN treatment

Hi, I'm a newbie. My 12 year old daughter, diagnosed only a few weeks ago, is not doing too well. She is now in an inpatient setting. I'd prefer not to post all the details here, but I need help in the areas of NHS and Local Authority interpretation of their powers and responsibilities, in the context of the MHA and the Children Act.

So I'm hoping someone can recommend an expert or experts in this area - I'm thinking perhaps of a solicitor who has proven experience in these matters, and/or an independent psychiatrist or psychologist used to working with parents to ensure that legislation, codes of practice, and whatever else, are being interpreted correctly and that decisions being made are genuinely in the patient's best interest.

Looking forward to any and all responses.

6 Replies

It's scary seeing your daughter get thinner and thinner my daughter had anorexia and was sectioned because her bmi went below 15 so they had the legal right to section her she wouldn't go voluntary

It was a relief to have her in professional care where she had to put on weight or she wouldn't get out of the residential unit what is it that you are worried about ?


Try Mind's Legal line, you can speak to lawyers who specialise in this field. Details on their website.


Thanks for the replies.

The point is that the Trust in question applies a policy which can include sectioning a child who consents to treatment, and whose parents consent to that treatment. Clearly the Trust feels that it needs the additional legal protection which they see this as affording them. From my perspective this is not necessarily in the child's best interest.


Sorry can't help with the legal side of things - BUT - getting professional in-patient help now is so so important - catching the problem early and getting both nutritional and psychological help ie counselling to look at the underlying issues - is vital if recovery is going to be achieved and maintained. Whilst I know how painful it is both to see your daughter fading away before your eyes and being powerless to help - and also seeing her in hospital - probably crying out to come home is equally painful - she does need professional treatment and parents who support and encourage her to accept this treatment - which can lead to heart rendering cries from her to get away from the treatment - so I shall be praying for all of you.


Thanks Crazycrosstitcher - of course everything you say is true. My daughter is receiving excellent care and treatment and neither she nor her parents have any issues with it.


I was fourteen when my illness began. No one helped me get treatment. I just started six years ago all on my own. I am now 56 years old. I wished someone would have helped me long ago. I applaud you for helping your daughter. As a parent, we love our children. Seeing them whithering away is so painful as a parent. I have no legal advice about your situation. I would check every resource even a lawyer. They know the laws. I give you lots of credit for helping your child. Please be there for her. She needs you. I will be thinking of both of you. Be strong. With the right treatment, she can get better. I did I had been ill for so many years. I am well now.


You may also like...