Discovery Channel Special

Just found out about a new discovery channel documentary that aired this morning. It will also be shown on the next 2 saturday mornings. I've only watched about 15 minutes of it so far but it looks pretty good.

The name is: A Heartbeat away from a stroke.

It's all about AFib.

Here's the link to the video:

discoverychannelcme.com/pat...

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • OK, I watched the whole thing and it was really good. Since it was about strokes caused by AF that was their primary focus. It did give a lot of information about AF symptoms and how it can affect your life. But it mainly stayed on preventing stroke and the need for blood thinners.

I think the thing that stood out most, to me, was that 35% of those who have AF without taking an anticoagulent will have a stroke. That is a scary number. And by taking a blood thinner you reduce the chance to almost 0%.

I wish I could have seen something like this 12 years ago. I went for 11 years being treated (or so I thought) for AF and I was never told about the chances of a stroke or given anything to reduce that chance. And they also discuss that in the documentary. How common it is that AF is mis diagnosed or concidered a minor problem with no treatment being done.

It's almost an hour long but worth the time to watch it.

• I can't find when this is on next Saturday - can you please confirm the channel and time?

• I saw it on the Discovery channel this morning. Not sure when it is being replayed. It was interesting and while I think the title of the show is a bit dramatic and scary, I didn't think the show was scary. Good depiction of people living with A.F.

• sharonp79, It was posted that it would air again on the next 2 saturday mornings at 8AM EST time. I watched it online.

SRM, I agree that the title was a bit overdone but it did do a great job of explaining why there is a need for blood thinners. They also did a good job of addressing the problem of people thinking it was something else and not seeking medical care. Also for someone like me... After seeing this they would not accept a Dr telling them that their heart is in good shape and not to worry about it.

I think it was worth watching.

Tim

• Thanks TheStand - guessing not on in UK yet, will try to watch online instead.

• "I think the thing that stood out most, to me, was that 35% of those who have AF without taking an anticoagulent will have a stroke. That is a scary number. And by taking a blood thinner you reduce the chance to almost 0%." Did they give a source for those statistics - they seem odd particularly as the age when you first started with AF and other contributing factors are always marked as important risk factors in other reports. Also I have yet to read a report where taking an anti-coagulant reduced the risk factor to anywhere near 0%.

You may also like...