Should I have another ablation?: I had my... - AF Association

AF Association

22,208 members26,997 posts

Should I have another ablation?

Kather profile image

I had my first ablation in March and all was good ,did have to have a cardioversion 2 weeks later for flutter but was not to worried .In August I went into flutter again and was cardioverted .Saw my EP and he said I should considered another ablation for what they call break through currents. We decided to stay on the meds for now and see what happens for 6 months . Well guess what I had another flutter last night for 6 hours.

I'm not sure what to do . Do I have one now ? I feel like a ticking time bomb waiting for another episode. I also have a 2nd opinion in October but not sure if I want to wait . My EP said I can schedule one about a month out.

3 Replies
BobD profile image

I had almost a year between all my ablations and for my last was still having some rhythm issues up to nine months afterwards. Then nine years free . I'm a great fan of ablation but give it time I would say. See how things go next month as it isn't long to wait.

SRMGrandma profile image

The blanking (healing) period is 3-6 months and you are just now at 6 months out. The goal of ablation is to minimize the severity or the frequency of atrial fibrillation or flutter. As long as you are doing everything to maintain a healthy lifestyle to protect your heart and maximize your results, I would wait a bit to see if how frequently you are having flutter and if the burden of it warrants another ablation. That said, it is usually a shorter, easier ablation for flutter than for A Fib. Good luck to you!

Kather profile image
Kather in reply to SRMGrandma

Thank you for the replies.Talked with cardio nurse and we upped the flecainide to 300MG but no difference I have a call in the morning to see what the next step is as I have been in low about 90-110 flutter for about 48 hours.

You may also like...