Consider representing Malecare and our online community as a patient advocate on the SWOG Cancer Research Network , one of the oldest and largest publicly
funded cancer research networks in the United States. SWOG is recruiting four
volunteer community advocates that will bring diverse perspectives to its
cancer clinical trials and is seeking to fill community advocates in these
communities: advanced/metastatic cancer, caregivers, LGBTQ, and rural
residents. Share insights from your community and be part of a new program
that will directly improve clinical trials - the source of all new cancer
treatments. Applications are simple and are due on February 12, 2021
Community advocates will help:
* Improve trial consent forms
* Build awareness of trials through social media and personal networks
* Review, execute, and improve patient enrollment plans
* Engage hospitals, clinics, and other sites that can offer trials
* Share the results of SWOG trials in their community
* Community advocates are valued for their front-line perspective on
cancer diagnosis, treatment, and survival issues. For this reason, extensive
experience in clinical trial development and cancer research is discouraged.
Advocates who have served on clinical trial review panels, on an
institutional review board, or in a similar position of cancer research
leadership should apply instead for a SWOG research advocate position as
they become open.
* Have experience with, and a dedicated interest in, advocacy in one
or more cancers. This experience should include holding a leadership role
or having strong ties to local, regional, national and/or social media
cancer advocacy communities.
* Have personal experience with cancer. This can include being a
survivor of cancer, serving as a primary caregiver for a family member or
friend with cancer, or having extensive experience working with cancer
patients in an advocacy role.
* Have the willingness and ability to serve at least one five-year
term; attend two SWOG conferences each year; and take part in monthly
patient advocates teleconference calls.
*Attend as a representative of Malecare
* Serve the public through life-changing cancer advocacy work
* Be part of experienced and supportive advocate and research teams
* Free travel and training to learn more about cancer clinical trials
A full position description and an application can be found