Mindfulness and Meditation

Mindfulness and Meditation

By focusing your attention, meditation and mindfulness practices aim to help you create a peaceful, quiet state of mind. For people with cancer, it is offered to improve quality of life and to help cope with the symptoms of cancer and its treatments

Practitioner Perspective:

“The gentle introduction of meditation into our lives can enable us to access a quiet stillness deep within us. Gradually we may notice that we are more settled in ourselves; that we feel less controlled by our racing thoughts and more accepting of our fluctuating feelings. Here at Penny Brohn Cancer Care, it has long been recognised that meditation is a powerful aspect of emotional, mental, physical and spiritual healing. We teach simple and effective ways to meditate and support people to integrate these techniques into their lives.”

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I really benefitted from Meditation and Relaxation at the PB, it has taught me how important it is to listen to my 'inner voice'. Which reminds me, perhaps I ought to come back for a refresher xx :)

• I have used meditation and mindfulness practices on and off for over 20 years. I went to the Tibetan Bhuddist Centre in Bedminster for a year to practice and learnt there were different techniques. And I found it useful when I first got cancer 19 years ago. However I didn't keep it up and really only used it when I got stressed - helpful but not really the best way.

After getting cancer in 2012 I have now been trying to meditate every day. After each operation when I was home I managed it twice a day and it really did help me to centre and relax. However since returning to work I can only manage 4-5 evenings a week for about 15-20 mins. However even this has been a great help.

I have read a lot of books about meditation and there are some purists about. I am more pragmatic that you do whatever helps you. I find just setting time aside to be mindful and try to meditate regardless of how well I practice any technique , whether my mind really does go still or not, is actually all that I need to do. I always physically relax and breath much better. I find my stress management is better, I am less angry or irritable (though still no saint) and my coping mechanisms are a lot better. The difference is that when I do get stressed I can easily get into a more relaxed state because of the practice.

So I definitely recommend it.

You may also like...