COPD blood oxygen levels and alcohol - British Lung Foun...

British Lung Foundation
45,034 members52,629 posts

COPD blood oxygen levels and alcohol

HelenKat
HelenKat

Hi All

This is my first post here.

I've had COPD for nearly 4 years.

I like to have a few gin and tonics in the evening. Does anyone know if alcohol reduces blood oxygen levels.

I normally have a level of 91 but this can fall to 86 in the evenings making me feel a bit giddy.

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi

Alcohol can effect your O2 levels, discus with you GP or Respitory nurse for a safe and reasonable amount to drink.

Further reading.

torontek.com/health-and-wel...

Dropping below 88% is not good for your major organs, which could also be affected by alcohol consumption.

HelenKat
HelenKat
in reply to stone-UK

Thank you for your reply and the useful link.

Hello HelenKat . As Stone has said it definitely does. I only have one small drink if there is a special occasion, anything more makes me light headed. Take care. xx 🌼

HelenKat
HelenKat
in reply to Caspiana

Thanks Caspiana so its not just me. I had not made the link and just thought my oxygen levels were lower due to the time of day rather than alcohol.

Have a few evenings without and see how it goes. Keep a diary perhaps. If I have a drink my oxygen can drop 6 points too from 67 to 61, so you may have a point. I would be very concerned at 86 it's not good for your body. Good luck

Thanks for your suggestion stamford will keep a diary for a week or so. Thanks for confirming that your oxygen also drops to after a drink. If there is a known correlation here I'm disappointed that the nurse and or other healthcare professionals haven't mentioned it.

They don't know everything

I stopped having my evening drink for 10 days and I notice an improvement in evening blood oxygen levels, dropping just 1 or 2 points and breathing is easier. On returning to having a drink for a few days back to the big drop in oxygen levels. I've decided to stop having an alcoholic beverage in the evening as I feel so much better just having a soft drink.

Oh well Helen, so long as you get to have a good night's sleep. Soft drinks can have devastating effects on your teeth x

Three cheers!

You may also like...