Extrinsic allergic Alveolitis

My dad has recently been diagnosed with EAA.

I took him into a&e Sunday 5th October due to him not being able to breathe. He isn't asthmatic and has never had any problems before. By Thursday his oxygen had gone down to 60%. Friday evening he was Induced into a coma and is now on intensive care. The doctors are saying that we have to hope that the medication will work.

Has anybody here had a similar story and survived this? I am only 21 and really don't know what I would do without my dad. He's all I have left.

12 Replies

  • Hi Skittlenattt, Sorry to hear about your dad. I am sure he is in the best hands. Why not ask your G.P. or the consultant in charge of your dad, for re assurance. Big Hugs , get better soon vibes on their way to you and your Dad. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :) xx

  • Hi skittlenat I am so sorry to hear of the battle your father is facing at the moment. I have been struggling with the same condition for the last 18 months and have also been warned about its potential to put me in intensive care. I have so far not had a reaction as severe as your father's so am unable to comment about that. My life has been turned upside down by this bolt from the blue and they now don't know what is causing it. The best people to talk to about your father's current condition are the people caring for him. Do they know what has triggered it?

    Wishing you all the strength you and your father need to get through this. Keep in touch and let us know how things go. Talk to us much as you want or need to. Someone will always be around.

  • Hi Skittlenattt so sorry to hear about your poor dad and the worry for yourself Im sure your beside yourself.Im afraid I dont have or know anybody with this.But I really hope that your lovely dad reacts well to his treatment and recovers.Stay positive will be thinking of you,keep in touch. :) Janexx

  • Hi skittlenattt, 4 years ago I was sedated and ventilated, for a month in ICU and spent a total of 2 1/2 months in there. Your Dads in the best possible place, I call ICU the place of miracles because they certainly worked one with me.

    I had no history of breathing problems but from being fully fit it only took 2 weeks before I was taken into intensive care with double pneumonia.

    Your Dad is very ill but he has a good chance now he is in ICU, My daughter was only 19 at the time and just starting university and I know I gave her a very worrying time but we got through it.

    Stay strong and positive skittlenattt and I hope my story can help you with this, I will be thinking of you and your Dad and crossing everything for his recovery.


  • Hello Skittlenatt, Sorry can't help know nothing about this condition. I just want to stay brave and positive for your dad. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. xx

  • Thanks guys it does really help. He is now suffering with kidney failure due to an infection.

  • I had kidney failure due to high levels of carbon dioxide in the blood so I had to have Kidney Dialysis and a machine called the Nova Lung to combat this. The Nova Lung removed the carbon Dioxide from my blood until my lungs could do it for themselves.

    Don't be afraid to ask the doctors/consultants on ICU if this could help your Dad, it can help if they think you are well informed.


  • I too have EAA but have not had an acute attack like that. He's in the best place and should respond to treatment. Tony has given you a personal account of his experiences. Hope today you see an improvement.

  • Please excuse my ignorance but what is EAA. Sending thoughts to your Dad and wishing him to get well.

  • Welcome to this excellent site Skittlenatt,all our thoughts are with you.Best regards to your Dad,he is in the best place for his care,hope you,ll let us know of his progress.Stay strong! D.

  • My dad has now been given a 20% survival chance. The medication is working but not as well as they hoped. They're certain he'll never get full capacity back of his lungs (which is currently 80%)

  • Thank you everyone for their kind wishes and support.

    Unfortunately my dad passed away at 6pm today.

You may also like...