Can fluoxetine (anxiety pill) cause breast ... - Women's Health

Women's Health
19,307 members2,361 posts

Can fluoxetine (anxiety pill) cause breast discomfort?

Cooper9490
Cooper9490

So I’ve had fluoxetine years ago and came off it but recently with what’s been going on felt the need to go back on it, I’m 30 years old and have been getting breast discomfort (not a pain as such) sometimes twinges but also feeling heavy and hormonal.

Does anyone else get this? It was almost a few days to a week after starting the fluoxetine and i haven’t had this feeling before, normally my build up to period gives me the tender feeling and a bit heavy but it’s gone within a day or so but I’ve now had this since I’ve been on the tablets for a month.

5 Replies
oldestnewest
wobblybee
wobblybeeAdministrator

🤔 It would give you peace of mind to consult with your GP, your symptoms aren’t listed under side effects.

5. Side effects

Like all medicines, fluoxetine can cause side effects in some people, but many people have no side effects or only minor ones. Some of the common side effects of fluoxetine will gradually improve as your body gets used to it.

Common side effects

These side effects happen in more than 1 in 100 people. Keep taking the medicine, but tell your doctor or pharmacist if these side effects bother you or don't go away:

feeling sick (nausea)

headaches

being unable to sleep

diarrhoea

feeling tired or weak

Serious side effects

It happens rarely (in less than 1 in 100 people), but some people may have serious side effects when taking fluoxetine.

Go to A&E immediately if you get:

chest pain or pressure, or shortness of breath

severe dizziness or passing out

painful erections that last longer than 4 hours - this may happen even when you are not having sex

any bleeding that is very bad or that you cannot stop, such as cuts or nosebleeds that don't stop within 10 minutes

Call a doctor straight away if you get:

headaches, trouble focusing, memory problems, not thinking clearly, weakness, seizures, or losing your balance - these can be signs of low sodium levels

thoughts about harming yourself or ending your life

fits, feelings of euphoria, excessive enthusiasm or excitement, or a feeling of restlessness that means you can't sit or stand still

vomiting blood or dark vomit, coughing up blood, blood in your pee, black or red poo - these can be signs of bleeding from the gut

bleeding from the gums or bruises that appear without a reason or that get bigger

Book an appointment with a doctor if you experience:

weight gain or weight loss without trying

changes in your periods such as heavy bleeding, spotting, or bleeding between periods

Copied from nhs.uk

I have a call with my doctor on Monday but just wondered as I’ve seen some sites that do list it as a side effect and some that don’t.

Interesting you should say this. I’m on fluoxetine and I wouldn’t say I get pain either... more of a discomfort. I even stopped wearing a bra (when I can get away with it)

I never considered it could be the medication 🤔

Yes, same it’s much more comfortable without a bra but I’ve resorted to soft bralette type or sports bras, it’s not a pain and not constant for me, nighttime as well as i seem to lay on my side and squish them!

I definitely feel it at night. When I lie on my side, I’ve taken to cupping the one I’m lying on, much to my husbands amusement!

You may also like...