Women Against Prostate Cancer

Introduction

Hello everyone.

I am new to this group and thought I would write a couple of lines about myself and my husband.

We are from Dublin, Ireland.

I am 35 and my husband is 68.

We met in 2009 during a workshop in Germany - which is where I am from - and to which my husband, who is Irish, had traveled all the way from Dublin to attend. It was love at first sight and, after a year of distant relationship and a lot of traveling between Germany and Ireland, we decided that I would move to Ireland.

We got married two years ago and bought our own home last year.

My husband was diagnosed in 2003.

He has undergone years of hormone therapy.

In 2014 his PSA shot up from 0.5 to 150 in a very short period of time and CT and bone scan showed that the cancer had spread to various parts of the skeleton. The options were limited; either Chemotherapy - which my husband didn't want at the time - or Zytiga.

He was taking Zytiga from autumn 2014 to June of this year. The PSA dropped back down to 0.5 and the following scans showed that some of the mets had "healed" and that there was no new spread.

The PSA started to rise slowly last September.

We spent months looking around for treatment options other than Chemotherapy. And we came across interesting new therapies and research, mainly done in Germany. But we felt that it was too early to change from Zytiga to something else.

In May of this year my husband got suddenly symptomatic with nausea and sickness, weight loss and general feeling of illness.

When the PSA reached 98, the oncologist did another scan and it showed that there was liver involvement now, hence the symptoms. The only option was Chemotherapy - Docetaxol - and he is now in his third cycle.

Someone in the "Advanced Prostate Cancer" group recommended this group to me. And I have joined because I feel that it would be helpful for me to talk to other women in my situation. I am doing so much research on Prostate Cancer and possible therapy options and am a member of the "Advanced Prostate Cancer" group, and I really want to do all this to support my dear husband, but I also feel that it is important to look after myself and find some support myself on this difficult journey.

I am sometimes not sure how I feel myself. I don't really pay much attention to it, I guess. I am working as a holistic therapist at a clinic here in Dublin, I am doing a lot of transcription work and I am looking after my husband. I sometimes feel I don't really have time to do anything else. And I don't want to because I am afraid of what I might feel: pain, grief, etc.

I love my husband so so much and I am hoping that we will have many more years together. Thank you for reading this. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Mel.