Counting calories : What is the best... - Weight Loss Support

Weight Loss Support

112,864 members59,716 posts

Counting calories

Healthyguy1 profile image
Healthyguy12022 July

What is the best app to keep track of calories? Thanks!

19 Replies
BridgeGirl profile image
BridgeGirlAdministrator

Hello Healthyguy1 and welcome to the forum :)

I don't count calories. I know some members use MyFitnessPal and you may get other suggestions.

You'll find everything you need to use the forum by following this link healthunlocked.com/weight-l... to Pinned Posts. Scroll through to see what's on offer and then get involved for maximum benefit

Healthyguy12022 July in reply to BridgeGirl

Will do. Thank you!

Wine profile image
Wine3st 7lbs

Hi love your name and welcome.

The nhs app is good has a calorie counter. I do go on nutra check as well if I can't find the food on the NHS 12 week weight loss plan app. I know it's says 12 weeks I just reset it either at the point I get to the target it set me or at 12 weeks.Hope that helped good luck with your weight loss.

Healthyguy12022 July in reply to Wine

Thank you!

moonlight89 profile image
moonlight892022 July

Hello!

There are always mixed feelings about counting calories.

You may already be familiar with this but for one, counting calories can be very useful to help you keep your food intake in check while losing weight, but at the same time, it's very easy to get too caught up with counting calories, which can lead to obsessing about them. That is mentally exhausting and leads to not only a restrictive mindset when it comes to food and diet but it sets strict boundaries in your overall life which can also feel very straining.

All that being said, I myself have always counted calories while losing weight. I just want to say that it is very important not to stress too much about calories all the time. Counting calories should be a simple little help to stay mindful about your eating habits and not a dead set new addition to your overall lifestyle. Trust me, I've seen both sides of calorie counting.

After sharing some of my advice, I can tell you about the app that I've used to count calories. Ever since starting to lose weight, I've only ever used one app to track calories. That one app, though I preferred to use it's online website, is CalorieKing (Australia). It has never failed me and I was able to lose 20kg with it, now as I get back on track with my weight loss after gaining a significant amount of the weight I initially lost back, I also still use CalorieKing. Other than that, I've heard about MyFittnessPal being a popular diet tracker too. But whenever possible, I've always tracked my calories by using the nutrition label on food packaging.

Now it's also important to be aware that any calorie tracker will never be completely accurate. The truth is, it is basically impossible to accurately count calories. That is also another reason as to why calorie counting should never be taken too seriously.

Maybe all of what I just said has already been known to you, but I just wanted to share my personal advice.

I wish you luck! :)

Eryl profile image
ErylVisitor

Hi, I eat a low carb diet free of processed foods including bread and fruit juice and I find the that there is no need to count calories. Processed foods have a high glycaemic index which means that they are absorbed quickly and cause a spike in insulin levels which starts the fat storage process and triggers the release of the hunger hormone which makes you want to eat more.

hjskev profile image
hjskevMaintainer

HiI'm a calorie counter and have lost 2st using this method. I use myfitnesspal. It saves all your favourite foods, you can import recipes and it takes the chore out of counting. You can also add a fitness tracker.

Lots of Americans use it to so you should feel at home there.

Healthyguy12022 July in reply to hjskev

Thank you!

Simplrs12 profile image
Simplrs122022 July

Fitness pal is a good one and its free!

TheTabbyCat profile image
TheTabbyCatAdministrator in reply to Simplrs12

Hi Simplrs12, thank you for your support and welcome to the weight loss forum. May I ask if you're just visiting or are you on your own weight loss journey too. Either way is fine by us.

Simplrs12 profile image
Simplrs122022 July in reply to TheTabbyCat

I am on my own journey with the weight loss, well by the help of fitness pal I only started it 4 weeks ago and I have lost 12 pounds so I am delighted the way things are going limited with my excersise with the copd but getting there.

TheTabbyCat profile image
TheTabbyCatAdministrator in reply to Simplrs12

Well done you, 12lbs in 4 weeks is very good going.

This is the link to our pinned posts, just click on the link, then scroll down until you find something which is of interest to you.

healthunlocked.com/nhsweigh...

We find that participation is the key to success, the Daily Diary and weekly weigh in are very good places to begin.

Good luck, :)

I use My Fitness Pal, too. Their calorie counts are reliable but I think their exercise counts are way off.

Healthyguy12022 July in reply to Maxy6

I have heard that also. Thank you

Nutracheck

Healthyguy12022 July in reply to Finding_Fitness

Thank you! Never heard of that one I'll have to check it out

I started with fitness pal, but wasn't happy with it. I now use fat secret and have been happy with it for years. Easy to use and it includes a barcode scanner

Healthyguy12022 July in reply to Elissy

Thank you! I've never heard of that one either but I will definitely check it out

Elissy profile image
Elissy3kg in reply to Healthyguy1

It's really easy to use and you can add exercise. I use the free version. It's british I think as all the supermarket own foods are on it.

You may also like...