My TENS machine

My TENS machine

First of all, happy new year to you all! I have not made any posts in the last couple of weeks as I have been hard at work battling my pain (and life haha) and doing some real research and trial/error into understanding what triggers it and what can be done to ease the suffering. My christmas present from my girlfriend was a TENS machine and I literally opened it up and stuck it on straight away. I was very dubious at first but since it was a gift and due to the amount of research she has done on it I thought I should give it a go. I was trying to come off Pregabalin and had nothing to lose right?!

Im not sure if anyone else has a TENS machine but after 10 or so days or using it, my pain has improved by a good 30%. I am now off my Pregabalin completely and only taking Naproxen, Paracetamol, Omeprazole (to prevent ulcers/gastritis) and Dihydrocodeine. Some evenings I have required a dose of Diazepam to help with the spasms but its so amazing to be off Pregabaling and Amitriptyline. I would highly recommend this device for all you chronic pain sufferers out there and make sure you get the device with lots of different therapy settings as they all help for different times of the day/periods of use/types of pain.

I also made some vital home adjustments as my environment was becoming quite toxic and it was stopping me from mentally beating my illness. I will share more about this later as that too made a huge difference to my overall mood, energy and motivation. Its so easy to get stuck in a rut and through my last two weeks often you need to think outside the box and not be afraid to try new things.

CUDOS to you all,

Adam

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I have a tens machine it used to work better that was a few years ago unfortunately now it doesn't do anything for me I'm glad it helps you .

• have you tried using some conductive gel and getting new pads? I found the pads got worn quite quickly and the gel really helped amplify the signal. You may also need to get a more advanced one with a higher setting - my one goes up to 50+ whereas I know of others that only go to 20...!

• Yes I have I just think my pain is so severe now nothing touches it. im just hoping the treatment I'm due to have gives me some relief as I don't think I can take anymore.

• The Who used to say the volume control on their amplifiers went up to 11 rather than 10 (but I think most realised this was a joke)

Output of tens machines varies considerably as does the wave frequency, wave form and burst modes. The pattern of output is designed to stimulate particular pain fibres and as such you may find different machines may help. It isn't necessarily true that a bigger output will give better benefit. Most manufacturers will allow you to use a machine on a trial basis for a couple of weeks. So it maybe worth having a go with another machine.

You may also like...