A spoon full of sugar makes the medicine go down??

A spoon full of sugar makes the medicine go down??

A natural anti-inflammatory remedy prescribed by our very own in-house Dietician Filip-W1Nutritionist : (NB: do not drink before a date and likely to kiss someone!)

1. Plenty of freshly grated FRESH ginger + garlic

2. The juice from half a lemon

3. Turmeric and Cumin

4. Organic honey

5. Hot/Warm water

Stir together and consume within 1-2 minutes (I had to hold my nose to get it all down in 1 go!)

Been advised to do this 3x this week as the combination of ingredients has potent anti-inflammatory properties and also great for your immune system this time of the year.

Enjoy!

Adam

14 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Oh yes, be careful if you are diabetic. Cut the honey out - im sure it will taste equally as bad!

It is really good for you though...

• Osidge Honey is not counter indicated when managing your blood sugar levels (whether that is pre-diabetes or active diabetes). It is important though to opt for natural/raw organic honey (less liquid than the common squeeze top) as commercially available honey gets treated in such high temperatures that ends up being just liquid syrup with almost none of the honey's therapeutic properties.

Also, Dr-Read forgot to mention cinnamon in the above nutritional remedy, a condiment that research suggests can help in your blood sugar control if consumed daily.

• Dear Osgide,

I fully understand your skepticism about honey and Diabetes, but please let me share some information with you below which will help you understand this unusual paradox and why honey is actually beneficial for most disease-states including Diabetes.

Basics:

Honey bee honey is a viscous solution containing various molecules, including fructose and glucose (80–85%); water (15–17%); ash (0.2%); proteins and amino acids (0.1–0.4%) and trace amounts of enzymes, vitamins and other substances, such as phenolic compounds. However, honey composition varies depending on the types of plants from which the bee consumes nectar. Nevertheless, nearly all honey worldwide contains similar types of phenolic acids, including caffeic, ellagic, ferulic and p-coumaric acids; flavonoids, such as apigenin, chrysin, galangin, hesperetin, kaempferol, pinocembrin and quercetin; and antioxidants, such as tocopherols, ascorbic acid, superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase (CAT), and reduced glutathione (GSH). Each constituent has unique nutritional and medicinal properties, and the components act synergistically, lending honey utility in a variety of applications [ from diseases of the gut to fertility and cancer] .

A recent evidence review by Erejuwa et al (2012), suggests that honey is a novel anti-diabetic agent as it exerts positive effects in the gastrointestinal tract (GIT), on the gut microbiota, in the liver, in the pancreas, effects that could improve glycemic control and metabolic derangements. You can read more here: scopus.com/record/display.u...

Additional fun-honey facts:

Honey contains The "super-food" bee pollen: which is considered as one of nature’s most complete nourishing foods and contains nearly all the nutrients required by humans. They are are rich in proteins (approximately 40% ), free amino acids, minerals, vitamins, including B-complex, and folic acid.

Honey contains Propolis : which is a resinous mixture that bees collect from tree buds and apply to seal and varnish the honeycombs. It has been the focus of a large number of research as an anti-fungal, antiviral and antimicrobial substance. As well as a great emollient for healing wounds and burns, an antioxidant, a great treatment for allergies and a possible remedy for cancer prevention.

Further reading on honey and its effects on Beta diseased cells: [ sciencedirect.com/science/a...]

Hope the above helps

Have a great day :)

Filip

Disclaimer: I don't work for/with any honey producing company : )

• Really interesting response and articles, Filip-W1Nutritionist . I hear a lot about Manuka Honey and it seems to be by far the most expensive - is this what you would recommend us to be consuming or will organic honey do?

• The study did indeed refer to type 1 diabetes patients but the review was for diabetes in general, so I would suggest focusing more on the Erejuwa et al (2012) review.

The Newcastle diet can only work to a certain extent as it lacks a "tailoring" aspect. It is very encouraging to read that people like yourself that have been diagnosed with diabetes are so eager to read and learn and that is the best way forward.

Carbohydrates are not the enemy, as long as they are utilised wisely and eaten at the right time of the day. Though, I agree that controling carb-portions might be a good way forward for type 2 diabetes ( of course depending on a plethora of other parameters as well) .

Regards

Filip

• The Cleopatra study- how exciting! Fingers crossed there will be some interesting findings on hypoxia and DMO.

Enjoy your conference : )

• Oops sorry Filip-W1Nutritionist !

• Well done for drinking it Dr-Read , small recipe correction :

- 1 knob freshly cut ginger ( trimmed in small pieces)

- 1 garlic clove ( trimmed in small pieces)

- 1/2 lemon

- 1 teaspoon cinnamon

- 2 teaspoons raw honey

- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric

A great winter natural remedy with anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties.

• Thanks for the correction! No honey for me next time as punishment??

• haha, maybe not holding your nose as a punishment...cant take away the honey!

• Dr-Read is this beneficial ( as nasty as it seems ) for Cirrohsis ? I have had this now 8 yrs . LFT all good ! Liver working fine . Thank you .. Linda

• Millie09 it has anti-inflammatory properties and there is some data on the positive effects of allicin ( garlic) on liver function. As it is all natural...I guess you have nothing to lose trying it.

• Definitely worth a try Millie09 ! Filip-W1Nutritionist knows his stuff!

• Thank you filip w1 Nutritionist and Dr- Read . I will give this a try 😊... As you say .. All natural and Nothing to loose ether ! I will let you know ... Regards Mille