The Mental Game: No one said this going... - Ask the Wellness ...

Ask the Wellness Expert
515 members137 posts

The Mental Game

Dr-Read
Dr-Read

No one said this going to be an easy challenge. Even before this all happened, juggling my full time surgical job with the running of Wecudos was such a big daily, weekly, literally constant challenge. I can remember so many instances when I would be doing Wecudos Skype calls between operating cases whilst my colleagues were having their tea breaks. I have lived on constant edge since starting my journey to build a more transparent health service and handling both worlds was mental in itself. But, in saying that, I have been managing it by learning and perfecting the art of having balance in my life and surrounding myself with the right people. I am very grateful to have a lot of great people around me now who I have met along the way and I owe them so much.

Now that I have this intense and constant burning pain, it is a whole different kettle of fish and another full time job in itself. I can only describe it as having 60-70% of my attention and focus being re-directed towards relieving the pain. There is only so much you can do and achieve in a given day and currently my work and personal life is suffering - and for someone in my position, that is a problem! It has totally turned a lot of things upside down and now I need to regain control and develop new strategies to fit everything in.

My mantra throughout this whole journey has always been the words “focus and discipline” which I would repeat to myself every day in my mind and it really helped me get through the toughest, darkest days when most people would have given up. I will need this mantra more than ever now to get over this hurdle in my life and launch the service I have been dreaming of for so long. I have always believed in the fact that everything happens for a reason and I suppose now I can finally understand what life is like for the patients I treat, which will in turn allow us to create an even more valuable service for those people who really need it.

Despite waking up this morning at 4AM with excruciating pain, I still managed to go do a gentle cycle in the gym before some sauna and steam room action! I then had an 8 hour product meeting and now I am back at home in 10/10 pain. I knew implementing exercise and dietary changes to regain my old physique at this stage would be a big ask but I have made a commitment and I must carry on and get it done -no.matter.what.

Week 1 has been a real roller coster but I have learnt a lot and documenting each day has been a big help! I hope it gets easier as I carry on (it usually is but not sure about my old nemesis: Mr Pain).

Focus & Discipline to the end.

Over and out.

Adam