No Pain No Gain?

So day 2 in and I am sad to report that my shoulder pain got the better of me. For years I have treated people with injuries and pain but never truly understand how much it can affect your whole life. Diet and exercise go right out the window when it comes on for me. Having an inflamed and irritated brachial plexus (the bundle of nerves which provide motor/sensory function to your upper body/arms) is not a joke. I knew getting myself back on track would be a huge challenge but today was a reminder of just how big that mountain really is. One of the worst things is that no one can truly appreciate what I am going through and I have seen patients fall into a negative spiral of depression and inactivity for years with Brachial Neuritis.

But I am convinced to beat this. I have been dedicated my life and career to helping others and spent the last 3 years building a more personalized health service. Until now, I did not really truly realize just how big my quest was/is! I have a firm belief that everything happens for a reason so the silver lining for me is that by me going through this period of pain and despair I will finally understand my patients and how best to serve them moving forward.

Over and out for the night!

CUDOS to you all,

Adam

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Sorry, no idea how/why this got repeated! Can't figure out how to delete it too. Oops

• Hi Adam you have my empathy. I have had very debilitating shoulder pain which has made me feeling quite miserable at times.

It has impacted considerably on everyday activities of living. I think the greatest being disturbed sleep waking me up every time I adjust my position.

I have tried numerous measures to help myself. I have changed my mattress pillows bought seat belt pulls anything to try and help.

However when the pain started to go into my other shoulder then I became very anxious. So I decided to visit an osteopath who I have used before. I was in absolute agony.

Earlier this year I privately funded 4 sessions with an osteopath. Half hour sessions which was painful on the day however felt easier the next day. She also gave me exercises to do which I must endorse have and do help with the pain. I still do them today and I have regained more movement and the pain isn't as sickening or as intense.

I also purchased a medium resistance band and use it really when I need to. It does help to relieve the pain. I just use the band to work into the pain especially in the mornings.

I still have limited movement 2 years on. This shoulder pain came on suddenly with no warning signs and I cannot remember actually damaging it.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Good luck and keep me posted. I enjoy reading your posts.

Jane

• Hi Jane,

Thank you so much for your support and advice. I'll think about what you've said tomorrow and see if I can encorporate any of t into my routine. The am currently paying for a private physio twice a week as the NHS simply is not equipped for this type of issue long term (even though I work in orthopaedics and have more access to therapists than most people out there!)

I know I can beat it and still achieve my goal. Your support are a huge boost so thank you once again, Jane.

Adam

You may also like...