Week 1: My Pledge, Goals & Starting Point

I woke up this morning and realized that TODAY is the start of my transformation. As I have written before, for the last 3 months I have had to deal with severe neuropathic shoulder pain and as a result I have been coping with intermittent waves of burning pain around my scapula and down my left arm. I am taking Gabapentin, Amitriptyline, Tramadol, Naproxen and Diazepam. As a result of the pain and medications, I am eating junk food non stop, not exercising and my sleep is horrific. In turn, I am becoming a bit of a recluse and not socializing at all which is not like me at all.

The great thing is that I already made a big step in the right direction and I have recently started to see a new physiotherapist who is working on the muscle spasming/tightness that are secondary to the nerve inflammation which is providing some relief. I want to start combining the physio/rehab with exercise and eating better again as I know if I do that I will perhaps be able to come off the medications and live a more tolerable life again. Finding the right physio in itself was a huge challenge and I am grateful to have found the right now finally after trying 5 times!

Coming from a background of being a doc + personal trainer I know a thing or two about training/exercise/diet but this is going to be the most insane challenge I have had to face. Numerous times I have been able to do it in the past but NEVER alongside serious daily pain. The time is now because my mental state, mood, energy levels have all plummeted and my work at both Wecudos and at the hospital where I work as a surgical doctor are both being affected. Personal life aside, my work is what brings me most joy and I hate being this unproductive and unhealthy. I am so determined to do it and I know I can. I am still working full time in both the hospital and running CEO is not a walk in the park but like i said, this is it! I can feel it!

The key is going to be PACING myself, starting off gentle and setting small, achievable weekly goals. The pain can be brought on so easily and I really need to be careful!

So here are this week’s goals:

1: My first step on this journey is going to be making small changes to my diet. A healthy, balanced diet will give me the fuel and energy I need to kickstart this quest of mine. Currently my diet is absolutely horrific - I ate Doritos for dinner for christ sakes!

2: Attend physiotherapy twice a week and work on the advice she gives me everyday.

3. Write a daily post for my own keeping and for Health Unlocked to document what I am doing to alter my diet, exercise and rehab regime. Happy to answer your questions along the way too! I will also try to take some pics each week too.

Wish me luck guys!

Adam

oldestnewest