Starting exercises with a back problems

I have decided to start exercise sessions and a weight loss programme I have down loaded the 12week plan from nhs but I have problems with my back, I have degenerate disc disease and osteoarthritis and some nerve damaged, what exercises do you think I should do, I am thinking of joining aqua aerobics as the support from the water might help, what do you think.

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Andy58,

Thank you for your question.

You need to be selective in the exercises you do when you have degenerative disc disease. Aqua aerobics is a very good as the buoyancy of the water helps reduce compression in the spine. Also, you can try other forms of water exercises too. In addition, you can try stationary exercise biking if you are comfortable with that or step machines as you are not continuously stepping on a hard surface.

I hope this helps!

• Hi there,

My name is Adam and I work at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in London. I have trained as both a surgical doctor and a personal trainer and I have a masters in Sports Medicine. As with any physical problems, I would really recommend for you to gradually build up and keep within your pain limits. You should ALWAYS listen to your body and start small, slowly building up as pain allows.

I would also recommend similar exercises as Dr Kugan below. Are you able to cycle or use the cross trainer? Those would be great low-impact modalities to work your cardiovascular system. At the beginning, start off gentle with bicycle/cross-trainer/swimming/aqua aerobics and over time gradually work in resistance training too.

What plan will you be following? Was that tailored made with your back pain in mind?

CUDOS to you for reaching out!

Adam

• Thank you for your advice I will try a cycle or cross trainer, I have started Aqua aerobics and I found I can keep up with it without any pain

• Andy!

How is your training going? Where are you at with everything? Do keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on!

Best wishes,

Dr Adam Read

• I am not doing to bad at the moment but I am feeling a bit sore now the cold weathers here, have brought a treadmill so I can walk even if the weathers bad so I can try and keep up with exercising

• Great! Keep it up and let us know how you are getting on!!!!

CUDOS to you,

Adam