Worrying diagnosis

I am new to this and was diagnosed with diabetes 2 years ago. I was told at joint diabetic and renal clinic that my kidney function had reduced by 50% but was reversible and am doing the right thing. Had no symptoms and concerned that it either could get worse and I would not know. (Been discharged from joint clinic back to care of the endocrinologist) Is there anything I should look out for or avoid eating?

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Margaret9349,

Thank you for your question.

As you may well know, diabetes can affect the kidneys but only if it is uncontrolled. I would recommend a few things:

1. Measure your blood sugars regularly with a glucometer and strips to ensure it is within range. Your GP or endocrinologist will be the best person to go to for this and for any diabetic medications.

2. Regular physical activity and a low sugar/simple carb diet will help control your sugars

3. Try and reduce your intake of foods with a high potassium content (e.g bananas, dark leafy greens such as spinach, avocado, salmon, baked potatoes etc). This can help stop your potassium from creeping up as can happen with a reduced kidney function.

Please don't forget that this is not a substitute for a consultation with your GP or doctor and if you need urgent help please call 999 immediately.

• Thank you this is really helpful. I am taking exercise and also monitoring my blood sugars. The advice on food is particularly helpful as salmon, baked potatoe and avocado has been a large part of my diet. Simple changes can make a difference

• You're very welcome! Do keep us posted on your progress.