PCOS UK (Verity)
3,675 members1,088 posts

"Buffalo hump" Hunched/Fat neck

Hi

Anyone else developed a "buffalo hump", like a hunched/fat neck?

I have in what seems like out of complete nowhere.

I hate the sight of it and it's uncomfortable too. For a while I thought it was just down to posture (mine isn't the best) but I feel like it might be associated with PCOS.

Why is it there? How do I get rid of it?

10 Replies
oldestnewest

As your doctor for a 24 hour urine test. Buffalo hump could be a symptom of Cushing syndrome.

Ive got a dowagers hump which is different, always been fatty there as well and it is down to posture generally

Hey, Holly, to be honest it could well be dowagers hump! I've not heard of it.

I only say buffalo hump because I read it on a list of PCOS symptoms.

My posture is terrible, I'm an illustrator so nearly all of my time is spent hunched over somewhere. I need to correct my posture for sure! But, I've recently noticed fatty hump/hunch appearance progressing and I absolutely hate it!

Do you practice yoga?

No I have tried yoga but find it too dull lol (husband does it and it helps his back hugely, he is an animal portrait artist) but I have been seeing a deep tissue massage therapist and it has helped hugely and my posture is much better. I also see a cranial osteopath occasionally which helps too but it's the massage that really helps (I go every month) and probably with your line of work it would make a huge difference - my lady that does the massage is really knowledgeable as well so can really sort out problem areas.

Aside from what's already suggested, possibly see a chiropractor to get an adjustment. Misalignment can cause hunched necks and upper backs or appear to make it worse.

I would love to see a chiropractor. My awful posture causes so many problems. It definitely contributes to the hunched appearance! But I have recently developed some kind of neck "hump" which I feel is PCOS related.

Do you practice yoga?

Been through a thousand support sites but I never heard of a buffalo hump being related to PCOS before, but Cushings might be related because its another metabolic disorder and they have a habit of forming hand in hand with other metabolic disorders.

I do, but because I was in a car accident when I was 11 and the full effects of whiplash weren't understood well then so the jerk that ran the red got off for a pittance while I get lifelong spinal problems from nearly going through the windshield. I also see a chiro regularly. Not for anything related to PCOS but it helps with the pain sometimes.

I also have PCOS and have a hump at the top of my back. I would also like to know this?

top of back is a dowagers hump - deep tissue massage helps hugely

I had one before I started treating my PCOs and it went away as my hormones balanced out. If you have PCOs I guess it could be related but if you don't have other symptomes I think it really might be your posture, your diet or something else

You may also like...