PCOS and adrenals

Hi. I was diagnosed in 2006 with pcos after a scan and blood tests. My brother had a diagnosis of celiac disease last year and my mother has a diagnosis of hypothyroidism.

I have been prescribed metformin due to absence of periods. I'm wondering if my hormone imbalance could be addressed higher up the chain by adrenal support rather than metformin which I think only addresses insulin (does this have an impact on progesterone and testosterone and estrogen too?).

My progesterone and estrogen are low, but testosterone is high and initial tests suggest I am not insulin resistant (glucose blood test) - but I've been diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome despite eating predominantly low GI and gluten free - will metformin help rebalance hormones or is it in fact adrenals which need support / help / looking at? I'm also wondering whether my mum would have had a pcos diagnosis if she'd have been tested at my age, and this has now manifested itself as hypothyroidism in her mid 50's...

I'm nearly 35. I have a son conceived naturally in 2011.

Help!

3 Replies
oldestnewest

It's interesting to note the coincidence with thyroid problems and PCOS. Perhaps worth getting tested to check your thyroid function.

Having asked the same question as above on the thyroid uk healthunlocked group, I was given a few more pointers. Biggest thing so far being that PCOS can be a symptom of hypothyroidism! I've had my tsh tested and it's in normal range, however there are other thyroid function tests which can be done and I might ask for. Reading loads around the subject atm looking for answers :)

Hi BlueJemima, may be co-incidence that I have recently been diagnosed with a cyst on my ovary. I'm yet to have a scan so I don't have the full story. However, I have been suffering for 18months with hypothyroidism that cannot be treated with the normal Levothyroxin which the NHS provides. I have problems with my adrenals which has been resolved somewhat with a herbal Adrenal Support from a homeopathic therapist. You might want to tackle the Adrenal thing in any case, as it can't hurt can it? BTW, I'm 55. Apparently 40% of over 40's have a thyroid problem but often don't realise and thyroid and adrenals are, of course, closely connected. You sound well versed but you may get confused with the reading as I think there is a lot of hype out there. Good luck with this.

You may also like...