PCOS and adrenals

Hi. I was diagnosed in 2006 with pcos after a scan and blood tests. My brother had a diagnosis of celiac disease last year and my mother has a diagnosis of hypothyroidism.

I have been prescribed metformin due to absence of periods. I'm wondering if my hormone imbalance could be addressed higher up the chain by adrenal support rather than metformin which I think only addresses insulin (does this have an impact on progesterone and testosterone and estrogen too?).

My progesterone and estrogen are low, but testosterone is high and initial tests suggest I am not insulin resistant (glucose blood test) - but I've been diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome despite eating predominantly low GI and gluten free - will metformin help rebalance hormones or is it in fact adrenals which need support / help / looking at? I'm also wondering whether my mum would have had a pcos diagnosis if she'd have been tested at my age, and this has now manifested itself as hypothyroidism in her mid 50's...

I'm nearly 35. I have a son conceived naturally in 2011.

Last edited by

3 Replies

• It's interesting to note the coincidence with thyroid problems and PCOS. Perhaps worth getting tested to check your thyroid function.

• Having asked the same question as above on the thyroid uk healthunlocked group, I was given a few more pointers. Biggest thing so far being that PCOS can be a symptom of hypothyroidism! I've had my tsh tested and it's in normal range, however there are other thyroid function tests which can be done and I might ask for. Reading loads around the subject atm looking for answers :)

• Hi BlueJemima, may be co-incidence that I have recently been diagnosed with a cyst on my ovary. I'm yet to have a scan so I don't have the full story. However, I have been suffering for 18months with hypothyroidism that cannot be treated with the normal Levothyroxin which the NHS provides. I have problems with my adrenals which has been resolved somewhat with a herbal Adrenal Support from a homeopathic therapist. You might want to tackle the Adrenal thing in any case, as it can't hurt can it? BTW, I'm 55. Apparently 40% of over 40's have a thyroid problem but often don't realise and thyroid and adrenals are, of course, closely connected. You sound well versed but you may get confused with the reading as I think there is a lot of hype out there. Good luck with this.

You may also like...