lack of cortisol!---show this page to those who tell you that you depressed or. normal when you are NEITHER!

2007 I COLLAPSED ANd in hosp with all these things listed in the article and again this is only SOME, of what i had 24/7 FOR MONTHS now 3years on ----since the last crash in august 2010.. show this to your medical advisor!

hormonerestoration.com/Cort...

20 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Very interesting article this. Always think it is a pity that we don't have anyone in the UK who will put such things in print. I alsways feel that the powers that be here consider the States as somewhere where just about anything goes and doesn't hold much weight.

Thanks though for popping this on.

• well if you look down the side bar at the amount of information there it is abundant .. i have emailed that doctor.

• I'm just being tested for adrenal fatigue. I've suffered with peripheral neuropathy since age 14 (I am now nearly 45!) before being diagnosed with Grave's at 28, then Hashi's at 33 followed by a total thyroidectomy and being under-medicated since. It was only last year when I found the Stop The Thyroid Madness website and went to see Dr. Peatfield that I realised these illnesses almost certainly stem from low cortisol. My endo will only perform the Synacthen test so I am paying for the 24hr saliva test myself. He says the medical profession do not recognise 'adrenal fatigue', but he will be happy to treat me if the tests show low cortisol (also this will be with HC and I think I'd prefer to try the natural route first... Bovine?). I commented to my partner after my appointment on Monday that as the endo complained about the length of his patient list that day, did he not realise that if he treated patients in the correct way, for the correct problems, maybe his list wouldn't be so long!

• certainly Nicola. the nhs does not realized that in the long term is more cost efficient. The thryroid problem is becoming to my knowledge an epidemic and it does not have an stop.

one thing i was on antidepressant for 2 years on and off, twice i tried to give them up and i could not. Thennow on levo 100mg i have been able to leave them but i am left still with symptoms and i feel slightly better. i out on weight , i sweat but i ma cold. mu sweat smells funny i retain liquids i pee for emgland and i am tired at certainf times in the day and i noticed my brain since all this has never been the same.

could this be low cortisol . what is the best test to have,. this article is very good. thanks pettals

• anuska, this sounds a little like a sugar problem. When the body attempts to lower sugar, it does it through sweat and urine to flush it out. Fatigue is also a symptom.

Does your breath smell fruity....another symptom.

Usually an A1C test can tell you something or if you know someone who is diabetic, they could give you a quick test...the one they use on themselves.

• Very interesting article, Pettals, thank you.

• Brilliant article pettals, I am going to take it with me next week to the Dermatologist at The Royal London Hospital and see what he says, as he has already told my local Dermatologist that something has been lowered. Dr P thinks adrenals and the Nutri Adrenal certainy made me feel a bit better, but I didn't give it very long before local Endo said to stop. Wish I hadn't listened to him. Anyway will do a Blog when I have found the answer. Thank you for posting. Janet.

• Anuska, brain fog is a BIG problem when you are not fully optimised with thyroid hormone. You need someone to medicate you according to your SYMPTOMS rather than your LABWORK. Cortisol should be highest in the morning, then decrease throughout the day, being lowest at night. If you are most tired in the early part of the day but find it hard to sleep, then cortisol could be an issue. If you haven't looked at the Stop The Thyroid Madness website, do. There is so much information which is hard to digest when you suffer from brain fog, but I always read, re-read and then read again! This link from the site specifically deals with adrenal function stopthethyroidmadness.com/a...

You can ask your doctor for the Synacthen test but this only shows your cortisol level and a certain time during the morning, after stimulation. You need to know what your levels are doing throughout the day. If you really think you may have a cortisol issue, I would advise paying out for the 24 hour saliva test.

• hi nicols. thank you for the info. i am familiar with the stopthe thyroidmadness website and i am bought the book a couplw of days ago. i am doing as much reading as i can.

i will order a saliva test trought genova. we give them a calk in a bit see if they are open. thanks . hughs ana

• With Genova I'm pretty sure you need a doctor's prescription to get the test, the info is sent back to them. I think Blue Horizons may do the test without...?

• see Dr Henry Lindner (and TUKs) supporting letters to the Scottish Parliament.

scottish.parliament.uk/Gett...

• oh my sparefibs-- i had no idea- he was on there i will copy and paste that to my own useless mp in south east----- what a letter- he deserves a nobel peace prize or a medal! i emailed him yesterday he replied--- he said he would be able to treat me if i had a doctor who would work with him and if i first went to usa to see him. well first i havent a bean---- and have i got such a doc err NO! I HAD NO IDEA EITHER THAT HYDROCORTISONE WAS BIO hormone sorry caps on--- i will i think get a very very low dose myself- i have notuced how old i am raidly gettting and altho high cortisol does this so does low cortisol. SPARERIBS THANKYOU SO MUCH TO TELLING ME THIS ON THE PARLIAMENT SIDE. bless you. xxxxxxxxxx hugs

• and spareibs, as i cant get to him, what else do you think i could take with hydrocortisone, progesterone or would balanceingcortisol balance everything?

• I'm sorry Pettals - I don't know about cortisol or adrenals at all (or much else for that matter!). I just noticed the name, and connected it to the Scottish Petition - if anyone knows any UK adrenal experts please let us know. Maybe you could get your doctor to work with him anyway (advice)?

((hugs)) Jane :D

• Hi Pettals, thank you for the link which is relevant for me right now.

For what it's worth i saw my local endo last week in the context of the current push to try to get my energy levels up to normal, and floated the matter of adrenal testing. I'm not ill per se, but do get tired and stressed far easier than I used to or should - it's still interfereing quite badly with work.

With the result (and as a result of this site bringing the issue into focus - thanks to all) that i have after many years started to look at the adrenal side of the house.

I've a tendency to what seems like hypoglycaemia/low blood sugar after exercise which may or may not be suggestive of adrenal issues too. The ususal testing for adrenal disease when i was in hospital for the problems triggered by hypothyroidism etc and a thyroidectomy came back negative - but the paper suggests that these are very crude screens likely to pick up only fairly extreme disease.

Upping the proportion of T3 taken over the last month has helped - and the good news is that the endo (who is a pretty co-operative and helpfully minded if by definition conservative guy) issued a new prescription for 40mcg of T3 daily broken into multiple lots, and 50mcg of T4. (previously 20mcg T3 and 150mcg T4 - think i was not using all of the T4 though)

His take on the adrenal issue seems to be that while he doesn't rule it out they don't have the tools to manage adrenal support therapies all that effectively - and much as suggested in the paper he's very cautious about the verry real risks inherent in getting involved in supplementing hormone.

I aksed about saliva testing of adrenal hormone levels. His response wasn't negative per se, just that so many factors may cause variations in it that it's almost impossible to make a definitive diagnosis off the results.

Seems much as like the case of thyroid bloods really. They may pick up a problem, but for them to be clearly off requires a pretty major problem/disease process.

The trouble being that in the meantime you may well be exhibiting clear symptoms of e.g. low hormone, but realistically they are not into reading and treating by these - not at least unless they are gross. i.e. modern one size fits all medicine, legal posterior covering and rapid patient throughput require a definitive one shot lab test based diagnosis.

A diagnosis that somehow in the medico legal/societal culture world ends up being interpreted of 'proof' of whatever. Never mind that the test itself and its interpretation is based off layer after layer of perception and presumption.

Nothing for it but to spedn some more time digging deeper...

ian

• The UK medical profession to not recognise adrenal fatigue, only Addison's and Cushing's. I think I'm right in saying that low cortisol can also make you feel hypoglycaemic. I think we need to be careful in replacing low cortisol with HC (which is was my endo has suggested) because from what I've read you have to be very disciplined in taking the medication on a daily basis. It is probably best to use some natural adrenal supplementation, look at your diet (whole foods help regenerate cells) and exercise (yoga is fantastic!). Remember, it doesn't matter how much you up your thyroid meds, if your cortisol is low it could cause a problem with absorption...

• hello ian, well i think dr. linder has spelt it out i no uncertain terms an di only wish we had the like of him here--- i want to print out that governemt supprt letter but i do nt think i hav eenough ink, it is sooooooooooooo many pages, but well worth it, i need an office worker to do it... if any office workers here can do it for me an dpost it, i would be very grateful. hypoglycemic symptonare a sign of adrenal insuff, and when i read the page of th eblog of dr linder,that i put on here, it lists all the horrendous things that happened to me all at once in 2007 ending up in hosp vomitin g badly an dthen again august 2010 which i am still trying torecover from, so keep digging ian. wish you well x

• Thanks girls. Good luck with yours too. It's actually great to see stuff like this coming up - in that it at least opens avenues to explore for those prepared to take it on..

ian

• Ian - the very fact that blokes are suffering too enhances that it is a real problem (us 'girls' are often disbelieved, we sadly tend to get used to it, and say nothing in order to uncompromise ourselves and just get on with our daily lives) but I for one. value your input. But as you say, it's hard to take it on. J

• warriors---- united we stand-- divided we fall!

You may also like...