Appointment re:thyroid tomorrow

Hey all, i have previous had my thyroid tested and it came back "normal" though not sure what the actual result was. This was about 6 months ago. I have continued to have symptoms (headaches,cold hands+feet, always feeling cold,foggy thinking/forgetfulness,constipation,always feeling tired, achey arms/legs/anxiety, palapatations,dry skin,heavy painful periods) the main one which has bothered me is the weight gain/inability to lose weight. i've been eating healthily and exercising a lot (probably more than i should) yet i've not lost any weight and i'm just sick of feeling this way. Something is not right and i feel that might possibly be my thyroid.

I have an appointment with a doctor tomorrow but i have no idea how to broach the subject, i'm worried they will either fob me off or just do a tsh test (which i;ve read isn't always reliable)

any advice is much appreciated, i'm at the end of my teather. :(

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi You need a print out of your tests + ranges ( vital).It sounds as if he is just doing the tSH test, cost cutting. Insist you need the TSH, T4 and Free T3 tested. Thyroid disease may be showing just on of these tests to start with.. If you have the symptoms it should show. If there is nothing showing in bloods, then, ask if you can have a trial, 3 months, of levo ( T4) and see if it helps. Also make sure he tests diabetes and vit D (hormonal )also Ferritin, and B12 and Folic acid. Some hormonal and autoimmune, all can effect the thyroid. That is just for starters!

Good luck, be adamant that you need treatment.

Best wishes,

Jackie

Not sure if you know but to reply to anyone click on "reply to this" or we do not know.

• Hi

I have all these symptoms and I am hyper I am one of the unlucky ones who put on weight until my thyroid is stabilised and then I lose it all again.

My vitamin D level was really low when they finally tested me.

I had been tested for my thyroid on and off for 10 years because of symptoms and it is only in the last three years that it was diagnosed.

I have found you have to stick to your guns you know you are not right and you want something done about it.

Good luck

You may also like...