Join us here, Gwen!

Join us here, Gwen!

I hope Gwen reads my comment and decides to sign-up here. :-)

Can milk stop my medicine working?

PUBLISHED: 02:18, 26 February 2013 | UPDATED: 02:19, 26 February 2013

For the past 20 years I’ve been taking levothyroxine for an under-active thyroid.

A friend has just been diagnosed with the same condition, and informed me that the medication should not be taken at the same time as milk, because milk wraps itself around the tablet and stops it working!

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Gwen Cotton, Oxfordshire.

Read more: dailymail.co.uk/health/arti...

Rod

9 Replies

oldestnewest
  • For 20 years Gwen has been taking levo and a doctor has never thought to tell her how to take it. Mind you, neither has mine. I found out from you guys on this site!

• And the Patient Information Leaflets are not exactly sparkling models of communication! Even assuming patients try to read them.

(I have actually just complained about the PIL for the new Teva Liquid Thyroxine - to both Teva and MHRA. Huh!)

• Same here. Mine still just says "one a day" no instructions at all. Was only from this site I realised that taking it with a fistful of supplements and breakfast was not the thing to do. Then to find I needed VitD for ................................. I could go on all day!!!

• Rod, My favorite is a little farther down in the article.

"For doctors, just because most patients take the time and trouble to research their problems on the internet, it does not follow that they have any real understanding at all about the nature of their illness — the origins, the possible treatments or the prognosis."

I would tend to see it this way.

"For patients, just because most doctors have taken the time and trouble to go to medical school, it does not follow that they have any real understanding at all about the nature of many illnesses--the origins, the possible treatments or the prognosis. Thyroid disorders, immune disorders, mental disorders, cancer and many others would be examples of areas which show a lack of any real understanding at all about the nature of these conditions." PR

• And just because doctors grab large wads of cash for having gone to medical school and turning upon their offices is no guarantee that they are earning it by helping patients to understand their disorders, treating the symptoms and the patient before them as a human being. And, where necessary, going to find out about those areas in which they can see their understanding is lacking.

• Rod, I did something I usually don't do, I left my comment in the comment box at the web page. However, it doesn't show, and yes I did register, maybe they have to approve it first. I would have liked to have also left your comment, it was well said, but since I didn't write it, that would be inappropiate. If you are so inclined maybe you would also leave a comment at the web page. PR

• I did leave a comment on there - but they love to pre-moderate. And sometimes comments simply never appear - but we can both hope!

Feel free to rip off my comment if the fancy takes you!

• Is it Dr Vanderpump the Daily Mail calls upon re thyroid gland problems!

• He has been mentioned there!

Looks to me like DM ignored almost all comments - there are two there - and one of them says comment on Twitter!

You may also like...