Abbreviations and Acronyms

Abbreviations and Acronyms

Everyone here, new people, old hands, and everyone in-between, has a problem remembering, recognising and interpreting the many, many abbreviations and acronyms we come across. For sometime now I have been collecting them and making a list.

And here it is:

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...

It is very simple. No explanations. Just the words in full.

I would very much like to enhance this by adding other abbreviations and acronyms. So, if you find any I have missed, and you think should be added, please drop me a PM. And please tell me about the mistakes you find.

PM = Private Message :-)

In case you are unaware, there are some remarkably comprehensive abbreviation and acronym finders on the web. They can be very, very useful but I feel we need something that does not give so many options, such long lists. This is one example:

acronymfinder.com

[Updated 18/02/2013 09:16 - Link changed to a new name that will ensure you always download the latest version.

Updated 20/02/2026 to make link work! ]

Last edited by

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • TUK!!!!!!!!

xx

;)

• ATD (antithyroid drug, for the hypers out there)

• Added.

• By the way, I shall NOT be including any form of what is commonly referred to as "txt spk" or textese.

• Rod, since you have some from the USA I would suggest: AACE American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, and NACB National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry, their report in 2002 set off the whole TSH debate. Great list, must have taken some time to compile, appreciate your efforts. PR

• Thanks PR - added.

New version, new link:

dl.dropbox.com/u/318411/Abb...

• Thank you for that it will be most useful and save a heck of a lot of time looking things up.

• That is so useful - thank you so much Rod for taking the time to do it. I've already looked up a couple . It's a work of art( or science!) all the best.

• Thanks for that Rod, it will be very useful I'm sure. I've added it to my bookmarks on the menu bar (I'm on Firefox, but I'm sure the bookmark facility is available on all browsers) . That way it's easy to open if I need to.

• Thank you for such a comprehensive list - will definitely come in handy.

You may also like...