Side effects Levothyroxine?: I started taking 5... - Thyroid UK

Thyroid UK
109,924 members127,769 posts

Side effects Levothyroxine?

Lotus77
Lotus77

I started taking 50 mcg Levothyroxine and got a numb tongue and slight temperature since - I’ve never taken any medication in my life (apart from some Antibiotics) and am prone to allergic reactions for medication (also for some of the Antibiotics taken) - Has anyone had such side effects with taking such low dosage of Levothyroxine?

12 Replies
oldestnewest
SlowDragon
SlowDragonAdministrator

Which brand of levothyroxine are you currently taking?

Different Fillers in levothyroxine can cause issues .....acacia powder in some, mannitol in a Teva brand often upsets many

thyroiduk.org/tuk/treatment...

Low vitamin levels too ....it was very unclear what your B12 result was....if it was done via NHS it will be a serum test and was extremely low

Lotus77
Lotus77 in reply to SlowDragon

Ah...it says Anhydrous levothyroxine sodium, lactose, magnesium stearate, maize starch, stearic acid, pregelatinised maize starch and I think to be allergic to lactose...Will call GP to get call back and discuss - guess I will need to continue until advised differently?

helvella
helvellaAdministrator in reply to Lotus77

Only two levothyroxine tablet makes in the UK are lactose-free - Teva and Aristo.

UK Levothyroxine Tablets

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖

Last updated 24/03/2020.

This is a list of currently marketed levothyroxine tablets in the UK.

—————————————————————

🔹 Accord – formerly Actavis (manufacturer)

—————————————————————

🔸 Almus (an ‘own label supplier’ brand owned by Walgreen Boots Alliance – Boots pharmacies and Alliance distributor)

50 – This is repackaged Accord – formerly Actavis.

100 – This is repackaged Accord – formerly Actavis.

—————————————————————

🔹 Aristo (manufacturer)

—————————————————————

🔹 Mercury Pharma (manufacturer – part of Advanz) includes both “Mercury Pharma Levothyroxine” and “Mercury Pharma Eltroxin” which are identical.

—————————————————————

🔹 Teva (manufacturer)

—————————————————————

🔸 Northstar (an ‘own label supplier’ brand owned by McKesson – Lloyds pharmacies and AAH distributor)

25 – This is repackaged Teva. ❗

50 – This is repackaged Accord - formerly Actavis. ❗

100 – This is repackaged Accord - formerly Actavis. ❗

—————————————————————

🔹 Wockhardt (manufacturer)

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖

🔹 – identifies manufacturers.

🔸 – identifies ‘own label supplier’ products.

– Take particular note of the actual product which varies by dosage.

—————————————————————

Numbers refer to tablet dosages in micrograms.

If there is anything inaccurate in this information, please let me know by Private Message:

healthunlocked.com/user/hel...

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖

HiddenThis reply has been deleted
helvella
helvellaAdministrator in reply to Hidden

But they are! :-) Both required and present. :-) See section 6 of the Patient Information Leaflets.

Accord (Northstar will include these details for their 50 and 100 microrgam products):

What Levothyroxine tablets contain

• The active substance (the ingredient that makes the tablets work) is anhydrous levothyroxine sodium. Each tablet contains either 50 micrograms or 100 micrograms of the active substance.

• The other ingredients are lactose, magnesium stearate, maize starch, stearic acid and pregelatinised maize starch.

medicines.org.uk/emc/files/...

Teva (Northstar will include these details for their 25 microgram product):

What Levothyroxine tablets contain:

The active ingredient is levothyroxine sodium, 12.5, 25, 50, 75 or 100 micrograms.

The other ingredients are maize starch, mannitol (E421), microcrystalline cellulose, sodium citrate, acacia and magnesium stearate.

products.tevauk.com/p/levot...

Lotus77
Lotus77 in reply to helvella

😌....for some reason both the pharmacist and myself have been looking over it...Thank you

SlowDragon
SlowDragonAdministrator in reply to Lotus77

Lactose intolerance is extremely common with autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto’s)

It may be, of course, not that there any side effects of the levothyroxine you are taking.

It could be that your dosage is wrong or that levothroxine on its own will never give you good health.

Lotus77
Lotus77 in reply to Panda321

It could be - Will have to see and continue alternative therapies, natural remedies and thyroid qigong either way.

I cannot tolerate standard levo.

Don’t forget to complete a yellow card - the yellow card reporting system is online

I always have a particular brand as I struggle with some of others. Chippysue what do you take?

Lotus77
Lotus77 in reply to Tikaneko

I’m now awaiting Teva, since it’s lactose-free, from the chemist, I was taking Northstar.

You may also like...