Dizziness : Has my under active thyroid got... - Thyroid UK

Thyroid UK
109,884 members127,697 posts

Dizziness

Bitchy12
Bitchy12

Has my under active thyroid got anything to do with me getting dizzy when I bend over or even when I turn around in bed?

13 Replies
oldestnewest
SlowDragon
SlowDragonAdministrator

Low vitamin levels are common, especially if you have Hashimoto's

When were vitamin D, folate, ferritin and B12 last tested

Add results and ranges if you have them

What supplements do you currently take ?

Low B vitamins can cause dizziness

For full Thyroid evaluation you need TSH, FT4 and FT3 plus both TPO and TG thyroid antibodies tested. Also EXTREMELY important to regularly test vitamin D, folate, ferritin and B12

Ask GP to test vitamin levels or test privately

Recommended on here that all thyroid blood tests should ideally be done as early as possible in morning and before eating or drinking anything other than water .

Last dose of Levothyroxine 24 hours prior to blood test. (taking delayed dose immediately after blood draw).

Is this how you do your tests?

This gives highest TSH, lowest FT4 and most consistent results. (Patient to patient tip, best not mentioned to GP or phlebotomist)

what were your most recent Thyroid results?

Private tests are available. Thousands on here forced to do this as NHS often refuses to test FT3 or antibodies or all vitamins

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/testin...

Medichecks Thyroid plus ultra vitamin or Blue Horizon Thyroid plus eleven are the most popular choice. DIY finger prick test or option to pay extra for private blood draw. Both companies often have special offers, Medichecks usually have offers on Thursdays, Blue Horizon its more random

Bitchy12
Bitchy12 in reply to SlowDragon

No that’s not how I do my blood tests, it’s so hard to get an appointment for a blood test early in the morning. Plus my GP never sends me for one, I have to ring them to get a test done, because I know myself things are not right. I’ve just had my blood test on Friday, so awaiting results. Thank you for all this information. I will get on to it .

Oooh yes...when i turn over in bed the room takes off and sometimes when I bend to pick something up..was hyperthyroid but had RI and now hypo!!and struggling with levo...thought it was just me!!obviously not..

Bitchy12
Bitchy12 in reply to Hurtlocker

It’s horrible! No it’s not just you.

Hi, I definitely had dizziness on waking when I was under medicated. This has passed with an increase in Levothyroxine & my vitamins becoming more optimal.

Bitchy12
Bitchy12 in reply to Buddy195

I’ve just had blood test on Friday. So here’s hoping the medication is put up, Thank you

Have you been to your GP to rule out an ear infection or other cause? Not saying it isn't your thyroid, but always safest to rule out other causes before making assumptions.

I get dizziness - have Hashimotos- esp when I’m under medicated. Check your bloods etc just in case you’re under medicated.

The words that jumped out at me were "turn round in bed". This is a classic symptom of Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). I had this and the GPs missed it. I looked it up and the GP can do a positional thing with your head when you are lying down. I did it to myself and the dizzyness went away instantly and has not come back. Have a bit of a search for BPPV and see what you think.

Bitchy12
Bitchy12 in reply to serenfach

I will look this up, Thank you.

vocalEK
vocalEK in reply to serenfach

I had this too, and had the positioning procedure done by the doctor. The dizziness still happens on occasion, but it's rare enough to not bother me.

Jnetti
Jnetti in reply to serenfach

I had it too and it eventually disappeared completely a while after being started on thyroxine. So I think it is connected. Hypo can cause tinnitus as well apparently

For me, tinnitus is a sign I am underdosed.

You may also like...