Totally confused and fed up : Recently confirmed... - Thyroid UK

Thyroid UK
109,134 members126,783 posts

Totally confused and fed up

BBChick
BBChick

Recently confirmed I have thyroid issues, multiple nodules and my blood work shows I'm always on the lower end of normal?? No medication needed. I am also menopausal and until recently have used HRT. I have weaned myself slowly off the HRT as I'm approaching 60 and no longer want to take it. I now suffer daily /nightly with hot/cold flushes and sore gritty eyes. Is this more than just menopause or is my body still adjusting from lack of HRT.

3 Replies
oldestnewest
shaws
shawsAdministrator

What I suggest you do - as I don't think your doctor will do the following and the fact that they have been told not to diagnose until our TSH reaches 10 (barbaric when you're suffering).

You have to get a Full Thyroid Function Blood Test. Blood draw has to be at the very earliest, fasting and allow a gap of 24 hours between your lst dose (if you were prescribed) and take it afterwards.

I don't think your doctor will do all of these as they have been told that TSH and T4 is sufficient. It isn't. They've also been directed that the TSH has to reach 10.

TUK has a list of labs that will do a home blood test. If you decide to do so, make sure you are well-hydrated a couple of days before blood draw. They are home finger pin-prick tests. You need.

A FTF test is:-

TSH, T4, T3, Free T4, Free T3, and thyroid antibodies.

Labs are Blue Horizon, Medichecks, and Thriva.

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/testin...

Post a copy of your results onto a new Post for comments.

Ask GP to test B12, Vit D, iron, ferritin and folate. All have to be optimal.

Post results onto a new post with the ranges. Ranges are important as they enable members to respond.

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/testin...

Hi BBChick

I never took HRT and experienced hot flushes every day and night for years from age 47.

Now, aged 69 and knowing that I have hypothyroidism and have probably had it for a very long time, it is difficult to know whether the extended period of menopausal-type symptoms was actually caused by thyroid issues.

I read somewhere that menopause can trigger hypothyroidism so determining the cause of hot flushes could be difficult.

I guess if you resumed HRT and your symptoms abated that would tell you something.

Certainly I expected to experience hot flushes for the rest of my life as, although they were much less frequent and less fierce, they persisted until I was finally diagnosed with underactive thyroid last year.

Now I’m on levothyroxine and the hot flushes are a thing of the past.

I do have a friend who came off HRT at age 73 following doctor’s advice and she suffered so greatly with hot flushes and menopausal symptoms as a consequence that she went straight back onto HRT!

Hope you find the answer soon.

Best wishes

Caroline

SlowDragon
SlowDragonAdministrator

Essential to test vitamin levels and thyroid antibodies. Privately if necessary

For full Thyroid evaluation you need TSH, FT4 and FT3 plus both TPO and TG thyroid antibodies tested. Also extremely important to test vitamin D, folate, ferritin and B12

Low vitamin levels are extremely common, especially if Thyroid antibodies are raised

All thyroid blood tests should ideally be done as early as possible in morning and fasting. This gives highest TSH, lowest FT4 and most consistent results. (Patient to patient tip, best not mentioned to GP or phlebotomist)

List of hypothyroid symptoms

thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/about_...

You may also like...