Would i benefit from taking any supplements? - Thyroid UK

Thyroid UK
108,939 members126,499 posts

Would i benefit from taking any supplements?

Read58
Read58

Hi folks, would someone mind looking over my latest results please and advising me if i would benefit from taking any vitamin supplements. I’m currently taking 75 mg of Levothyroxine and, after reading advice given to other people on here, i started to use betteryou Vit D spray three months ago. This forum has been invaluable to me since been diagnosed in September. But like many others, i’m battling all the way with treatment. This is the first time I’ve had anything checked, except TSH and Free T4. i had to persuade my doc to test antibodies and vitamins ( once again from advice given to other posters on here). My doc was happy this time with my TSH levels and wanted me to stay on 50mg. He agreed to the increase because i still feel so ill. Any advice much appreciated.

5 Replies
oldestnewest

Vit D - 66nmol

The Vit D Council recommend a level of 125nmol. So you’d benefit from continuing to supplement some Vitamin D. And did you know Vitamin D has some important cofactors?

See: vitamindcouncil.org/about-v...

Vitamin D3 aids absorption of calcium from food and K2-MK7 directs the calcium to bones and teeth where it is needed and away from arteries and soft tissues where it can be deposited and cause problems such as hardening of the arteries, kidney stones, etc.

D3 and K2 are fat soluble so should be taken with the fattiest meal of the day, D3 four hours away from thyroid meds if taking tablets/capsules/softgels, no necessity if using an oral spray

Magnesium helps D3 to work. We need Magnesium so that the body utilises D3, it's required to convert Vit D into it's active form. So it's important we ensure we take magnesium when supplementing with D3.

Magnesium comes in different forms, check to see which would suit you best and as it's calming it's best taken in the evening, four hours away from thyroid meds if taking tablets/capsules, no necessity if using topical forms of magnesium.

naturalnews.com/046401_magn...

Check out the other cofactors too (some of which can be obtained from food).

Vitamin B12 358 (200-900pg/ml)

According to an extract from the book, "Could it be B12?" by Sally M. Pacholok:

"We believe that the 'normal' serum B12 threshold needs to be raised from 200 pg/ml to at least 450 pg/ml because deficiencies begin to appear in the cerebrospinal fluid below 550".

"For brain and nervous system health and prevention of disease in older adults, serum B12 levels should be maintained near or above 1000 pg/ml."

So increasing to above 550pg/ml is recommended.

If we take B12 then we need a good B Complex to balance all the B vitamins. Look at Thorne Basic B which has 400mcg B12 as methylcobalamin at the suggested dose, and Igennus Super B which has 900mcg methylcobalamin at the suggested dose.

Serum ferritin 137

Where ferritin is high it often points to inflammation somewhere in the body ( not at all uncommon with hypo folk) - does it make sense to you that inflammation is the cause? Is something somewhere hurting?

(With thanks to SeasideSusie from whom I shamelessly plagiarised much of this post). :)

Read58
Read58
in reply to Jazzw

Hi Jazzw, thank you for your reply. l have a clearer picture now of what i need to supplement ( when i looked on vit websites, the choices are mind boggling). For example K1 and K2, of which I hadn’t got a clue! And yes I have had a very painful shoulder/arm for months, it locks and clicks constantly and aches. Maybe thats the inflammation. Once again thank you for taking the time to advice. Best regards.

You are most definitely in need of an increase your tsh is much too high should be below 1. Your t4 is also too low should be nearer 20 and you should insist on ft3 test to make sure you are converting to t3. Re test after 6 weeks on 75mcg but its likely you wll need a further increase.

Read58
Read58
in reply to magsyh

Hi magsyh, doc was hesitate about upping from 50 mcg to 75, as he thought it was fine and adequately medicated. Told me not possible to test t3. I’ve ordered magnesium and vit k today as advised by jazzw. In the new year i’ll have my own private blood tests done, as most people here seen to have to resort to. My gp has said not retesting now until end of feb. Thanks you for replying. I appreciate any advice received,to help me better understand everything. Best regards.

Many doctors think if our results are in range then we are fine but it's where in the range that is important. Birth FT4 and FT3 should, as a rough guide, be in the top third of there respective ranges.

You may also like...