Beware High Dose B Complex: Today is Day 4 of my... - Thyroid UK

Thyroid UK
103,887 members120,413 posts

Beware High Dose B Complex

Hidden
Hidden
23 Replies

Today is Day 4 of my taking a B50 Complex. I have fibro with chronic fatigue and small fibre neuropathy which causes a vile burning sensation from toes upwards. The burning and fibro pain is exacerbated by stress.

I took the 50 B complex basicaly because I wanted to 'balance' my B vits after taking a lot of B12 without a B Complex). Sorry Seaside Susie:)

I was also particulary keen to get some B6 as it does calm down small fibre neuropathy (although it causes neuropathy in high doses over long periods.)

I took the first one on Saturday and the second on Sunday. Yesterday morning, I woke up feeling absolutely brilliant. No pain, loads of energy. High as a kite. Mood elevated. Just on top of the world.

Last night, slept badly and awoke this morning with intense anxiety and searing burning pain all over my body which is the worse I've had.

It's take me lots of googling today to discover that this strength (not the highest - and only had 4 doses) can cause panic attacks and high levels of anxiety.

I'm not tired and I'm virtually pain free - but not prepared to pay this price.

Currently drinking loads of water to flush it out.

What a nightmare.

23 Replies
oldestnewest
SeasideSusie
SeasideSusieAdministrator

This is something that I've mentioned in the past. These B50, B100, etc forms of B Complex aren't balanced. That's why I always suggest Thorne Basic B and SlowDragon likes Igennus Super B, both very similar in content.

5 likes
Hidden
Hidden
in reply to SeasideSusie

I know Susie. So sorry for not listening :(

1 like
SlowDragon
SlowDragonAdministrator
in reply to Hidden

When I started with Thornes B complex, I felt extremely wired and very bad insomnia for 2 or 3 nights, before it settled

I would try a smaller dose

Igennus is good because full daily dose is two small tablets per day.

So easy to take just one per day or even a half tablet

Always take B vitamins in morning immediately after (or with) food, helps reduce that "whoosh"

1 like
Hidden
Hidden
in reply to SlowDragon

Thank you SD. You did advise me on the Igennus but I thought the B12 content was very high.

I feel so stupid. All this advice and I have to mess up.

SilverAvocado
SilverAvocado
in reply to Hidden

Don't beat yourself up! Sometimes we just have to learn 'the hard way' ;)

RedApple
RedAppleAdministrator

Ugh, so sorry you're experiencing this Grincho. Can you provide a link to where you found the info about it potentially causing panic attacks and high levels of anxiety? Could be helpful for others to read this. :)

1 like
Hidden
Hidden
in reply to RedApple

drugs.com/answers/super-com...

mindbodygreen.com/0-11727/a...

There are many more sources of information about this issue.

An awful experience. I felt as though I was on speed. I'm just glad I recognised in time that it was these vitamins.

Probel mis that they are promoted - even in reputable / medical sources - as being excellent for fatigue, pain and depression.

1 like
RedApple
RedAppleAdministrator
in reply to Hidden

I found out the hard way that I couldn't take a B complex too (many years ago now). I decided to try low doses of each individual B on it's own to see how I reacted. I discovered that I cannot tolerate Biotin at all. For me, even a very small dose of biotin elevated the neuropathic burning to utterly unbearable heights.

As with everything else, there is no one size fits all solution. I'm intolerant to many supplements, so have no choice but to eat the best diet I can and cross fingers that I'm getting the nutrients I need.

3 likes
Hidden
Hidden
in reply to RedApple

I wondered if the Biotin was one of the main culprits, Usually when I get this neuropathic burning my body doesn't feel hot on outside. This morning though my husband said that he could feel the heat on my body. Thought I was going to self combust. Lol

Have you found any supplement that works for this wretched burning.? Thinking of trying B6 on its own. Have you tried this? dMy research says that people who have fibro/cfs are deficient in B6. Alphaa Lipoic Acid is said to be excellent but can't take it because it reduces T4/T3 conversion by 56%.

Happy Days :)

1 like
SlowDragon
SlowDragonAdministrator
in reply to Hidden

Suggest you try just half an Igennus

It's the Niacin that can cause flushing

2 likes
RedApple
RedAppleAdministrator
in reply to SlowDragon

True, niacin causes flushing unless you get the 'no flush' variety. That's not the same (for me) as neuropathic burning.

1 like
Hidden
Hidden
in reply to RedApple

Nor me. I had flushing - in the menopause. This burning is just intolerable - as though someone 's poured boiling water all over you.

1 like
RedApple
RedAppleAdministrator
in reply to Hidden

No I've pretty much given up with supplements. Went through so many, always hoping the next one would be the one that helped. The only thing I discovered along the way was that at least some of the burning is (sometimes) caused by elevated histamine levels. It seems for me, thyroid issues have also caused me to have histamine intolerance. OTC anti-histamines (cetirizine) can help sometimes.

1 like
Hidden
Hidden
in reply to RedApple

Just added another link - very interesting.

3 likes
jib70
jib70
in reply to Hidden

I so feel for you Grincho but relieved to read your post. I'm going though the same on the Igennus Super B. This is such a long hard road trying to help oneself isn't it ? All trial and error but the error can be hard to deal with. :(

2 likes
Hidden
Hidden
in reply to jib70

So true. I hope you feel better soon jib. As I only took four tablets, I hope I'll be back to 'normal' soon. Trouble is I don't like 'normal' either :(

2 likes
jib70
jib70
in reply to Hidden

"Normal" ??? I seem to have forgotten. What is that :O

1 like
SlowDragon
SlowDragonAdministrator
in reply to Hidden

I had peripheral neuropathy after starting vitamin D and magnesium........before adding Vitamin B complex and sublingual B12

Was able to drop the B12 after 3-4 months

I found this site extremely helpful

drgominak.com/sleep/vitamin...

3 likes
Hidden
Hidden
in reply to SlowDragon

Some interesting stuff here. Thanks SD.

3 likes
Sabine_es

Are those methyl B vitamins? My sister developed neurological problems after taking high dose non methyl B6. Only after some research and doctor visit she discovered that she has mthfr gen mutation that enables body to use B6 as non methyl and it becomes toxic. She suffered a lot of pain! And doctor said this gen mutation is quite common. I also have this gen mutation and have big problem to find B complex with methyl B6, B12 and folic acid and with good dosages. In example now I have one that has 12.000% B12 but only 100% Folic acid...

Hidden
Hidden
in reply to Sabine_es

Yes, these were methyl. I think the issue is the effect on neurotransmitters which become over stimulated.

StillEverHopeful

It’s been interesting to read about the pain & cfs some are experiencing. I noticed that I fluctuate quite a bit with energy/fatigue/pain despite being very consistent with how I take levo & am wondering if the doctor may actually be right about me having a CFS component... two weeks ago I felt better than I had for a while then tripped over my feet & am now feeling rough again. Had a PJ day today which is helping.

Hidden
Hidden

My fibro/cfss a separate condition from my thyroid issues. Spent four years having hospital appts, tests etc and was finaly diagnosed by a rheumatologist. Many people are desperate for their ilness to be associated with thyroid/meds because that can be sorted out - but sadly that's not always the case. The thyroid/meds issue becomes a red herring which just delays correct diagnosis :(

You may also like...