Woohoo! Cholesterol down into range (using supp... - Thyroid UK

Thyroid UK
106,870 members123,780 posts

Woohoo! Cholesterol down into range (using supplements)

Foxtrot89
Foxtrot89

I just wanted to share my success with you all. My cholesterol has been slowly creeping up since April 2017.

I had assumed it would come down (had no idea about anything thyroid related) and since I’m slim and I hadn’t been eating unhealthily and was walking every day thought it’d improve.

End of June 2018 it finally went out of range so I decided to start addressing it. Not sure how long it’s supposed to take to lower but I’m pretty happy! :)

5.47 to 4.29nmol in under 3 months, using pantethine (a form of Vitamin B5) at 600mg/day and inositol powder 600mg/day. I started them both during that time so unsure which worked or if both did (they’re both meant to improve cholesterol).

Anyway, hope this helps someone :)

Now to improve my total T4!!!

8 Replies
oldestnewest

Awesome effort I got mine down by ditching coconut oil and putting avocados in my diet

I’m wondering why you wanted to lower it? Cholesterol is made in the liver and is essential for your body and is used by your brain. If you lower it you are starving your body of it which doesn’t make sense (to me lol). Yours wasn’t high to start with and there really isn’t much evidence to say what a normal range should be, testing for it is relatively recent so what and to whose cholesterol levels are they comparing it?

Foxtrot89
Foxtrot89
in reply to Espeegee

I presumed that even though it’s needed it was best to have it in range?

Cholesterol is needed by the brain and doctors are obsessed about it. There is also good and bad types you have done really well to decreased yours good for you.

Don't lower it too much though your brain needs it.

Foxtrot89
Foxtrot89
in reply to Bunnyjean

Thanks! No I did think it needed to be balanced as cholesterol is needed for making certain hormones etc. so wouldn’t want it too low but presume too high isn’t good either.

Bunnyjean
Bunnyjean
in reply to Foxtrot89

Exactly, like most things in the body.

Espeegee
Espeegee
in reply to Bunnyjean

Doctors obsess about it because they’ve been directed to and because they get paid extra for putting clients on statins!

I know that they get paid extra for prescribing it too. I have two good friends that are over 70 years of age and they have both been taking statins for years they are in much poorer health than me now.

You may also like...