hairloss people, do you have a lot of UTI'S - Thyroid UK

Thyroid UK

115,661 members134,128 posts

hairloss people, do you have a lot of UTI'S

bluepettals2
bluepettals2

ehealthme.com/cs/urinary-tr...

I wondered if there is a connection here with uti's and excessive hair loss so i am asking if any hairloss people have frequent uti's, i read something to day from a consultant on internet that some infections cant be got rid off. so depressing, that there is no help out there- some bacteria gets embedded in bladder wall and causes biofilms, i was deeply offended yesterday when my gp said' increase your hygeine' bloody cheek! i cant get any more hygeneic that what i am. he needs to read upon embedded uti's! i realise that gps know so little even consultants know bugger all! same Professor talking about embedded says cranberry is a myth and diluting urine by extra drinking doesnt wash away bacteria but it dilutes it so it comes back negative.

22 Replies

I don't, but I understand (from the list on Thyroid UK ) that this is a symptom of Hypothyroidism. Are your TFTs due?

i have given up on tft, i am havingto buy my own ndt and my endo had me a verylow dose iwa s asleep all the time i have ha d utis for years before 2012 even

If you are undermedicated it's not surprising you're having Hypo symptoms - I know the feeling. We don't all have all the symptoms. Sometimes when I know I'm Hypo, I check my temperature and it's usually low.

There is definitely a link between thyroid function and UTIs. I've seen it referred to in quite a few thyroid books I've read.

I used to suffer from very recurrent cystitis, but found it improved a lot when I went on a low carb, high fat diet.

I hope you find some answers.

stoputiforever.com/preventi...

Hi,

I have barely any hair left compared to what it used to be like. I've suffered with UTI's to the point that some 10 years ago antibiotics didn't help and the hell of IC (painful bladder syndrome was diagnosed). Amitrytiline helped my pain loads! You can go down the herbal route of oregano oil, grapefruit seed extract if you feel it's an embedded infection theres loads of info on the UK bladder forum. Mine comes and goes but it's been ok the last few years. My thyroid is boarder line underactive so I'm hoping at some point I will be put on meds and that will be the magic wand that sorts everything out

How can you be borderline Underactive? You are either Euthyroid (ie normal Thyroid function) or Hypothyroid ( Thyroid not functioning adequately ie Underactive) !!

Have you ever had Thyroid Antibodies blood tests? If not ask for TPO and Tg blood tests (Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies and Thyroglobulin ). If you have Hashimoto's Autoimmune Thyroiditis (the cause of Underactive Thyroid in most people) regular Thyroid Function blood tests results can fluctuate. If you have symptoms ask for these tests or a referal to an Endocrinologist.

Other tests needed are:

FT3; FT4; T3; T4; TSH.

Also ask for some nutrients levels to be checked:

Vitamin D, Calcium

B12, Folate and Ferritin

in case you have deficiencies that need prescribed supplements. Google search " NHS choices - symptoms of deficiencies in . .* . ." (*each nutrient ) and compare with your symptoms.

Check the list of symptoms of Underactive Thyroid on the Thyroid UK website - see how many you have.

If you have (or obtain) a print out of your last blood test results put them in a post on here with your list of symptoms for comments. Always give full details of results with the ranges in brackets, lab and/or GP comments and dates of tests.

I would see GP and take in full list of symptoms and ask for tests/referal as above.

Hi,

I'm very new to all of this, although I have had symptoms for years. I was tested by my GP 6 months ago and was told I had a low thyroid, hence boardline underactive and would need to be monitored...come back in 6 months! I'm still trying to learn but I'm still very naive and confused by it all x

Brad07
Brad07 in reply to Brad07

I went to the GP because i was in so much pain with my bladder. The doc ordered blood tests and I guess my thyroid was tested amongst other things. I need to educate myself on my thyroid. Thanks for all the info x

bluepettals2
bluepettals2 in reply to Brad07

they will always say you are normal when you are border line it optimal

I think it would have been better to be re-tested in 6 weeks rather than 6 months.

Problem is when any tests fall within the normal range they say normal no matter where about in range. AND With Hashimoto's Autoimmune Thyroiditis, blood tests to check for Underactive Thyroid CAN fall within normal range. I had test results that were not normal in 2008 (reported as Hypothyroid ) but no one told me. Neither the Colorectal Consultant I was under who did the tests nor the GP who did tests at the same time. I had been very ill with numerous complaints. When the Rheumatologist noticed them on the computer (18 months later) he retested. I wasn't feeling as ill then. When results were back he told me " Thyroid 's ok you have Fibromyalgia " !

I applied for copies of my hospital records and saw that the "normal" results in 2010 were actually bottom of the range of T4 and top of the range TSH. No one tested Thyroid Antibodies - others but not Thyroid. I didn't even know about TPO etc back then. Fact is - my results were outside normal range in 2008 and reported by lab as Hypothyroid and should have been acted upon. Also the target therapeutic level of TSH is far less than the top of normal range for people with Hashimoto's / Hypothyroidism. So my 2010 TSH was actually too high - but no one had tested for Autoimmune Thyroiditis.

I was diagnosed over the phone by a woman on a helpline who advised me to ask my GP for an Ultrasound scan of my Thyroid which I did. After the scan I was referred to an Endocrinologist. So after suffering for decades I was formally diagnosed and treated in 2011. Endocrinologist arranged a Short Synacthen Test to check my adrenals first before I started my Levothyroxine.

If you have symptoms keep going back to GP.

Great advise, thank you. I was reluctant to keep going back to the doctor's, you assume they know what is best but I continue to read similar stories to yours. I'll ask for my results this time around

You can also apply to hospital and/or GP for copies of your medical records free of charge (since new rules 25/5/2018).

If you have symptoms you can ask to be referred to an Endocrinologist.

I would take in a list of all symptoms to GP (see a different GP if possible - the most agreeable & approachable one in the practice) and ask for referal to Endocrinologist. If refused ask for all the blood tests mentioned (don't wait 6 months).

If having any throat or swallowing problems (lumpiness, tenderness etc) ask for the Ultrasound scan of your Thyroid.

Take your temperature first thing every morning and if low then make a note and add to list of symptoms. Remember to add one to underarm reading. If taking under tongue then as read. Low body temperature ( 35 to 36) is a symptom of Hypothyroidism /Underactive Thyroid.

If GP refuses, keep going back every time symptoms bother you.

Study the NICE guidelines for treatment of Underactive Thyroid. Also look at NHS choices. Also look at list of symptoms of Underactive Thyroid on Thyroid UK website.

bluepettals2

thanks brad ye s i reckon its embedded when i read up the stories of uti's it is prevelant and some cant be got rid of its terriifying, brad are you male or female?

Brad07
Brad07 in reply to bluepettals2

Sorry only just saw this message. I'm femail

Just came across this link via one of the adrenal/thyroid pages on facebook and thought I'd post it here in case it gives you any new/helpful info: chronicutiinfo.com/intro-ke...

Haven't got excessive hair loss (yet), but have had another UTI a couple of months agoi and another Antibiotic,plus then fluconazole for the inevitable candida. Soda water can help with pain from UTI, but not sure if it really helps any infection, although is supposed to be good for candida. Hope you can clear it soon.

i have found out that uti can be embedded in bladder wall

I read that the other day,but feel sure mine is when my FT3 is low. Hope you get on top of your UTIs.

Brad07
Brad07 in reply to bluepettals2

If the uti is embedded the professor in London prescribes long-term antibiotics to treat the biofilms. Other doctors work with d-mannose, oil oregano, grapefruit seed extract to flush the bacteria out. Routine urine test sometimes misses bacteria too. I know how awful uti's are and I hope yours passes quickly, it's nothing to hygiene. We all know which way to wipe lol! quite insulting of your GP to even mention it

bluepettals2

yes i was bloody insulted. bath or shower every morning, i use andrews wipes inbetween after loo, bath or shower at night and wiping the correct way, clean underwear, and always washingmy hands, i wash my hands immediatly also after i have been out. i was bloody insulted and still reeling.