Basal body temperature as a diagnosis of hypo - Thyroid UK

Thyroid UK

114,722 members133,113 posts

Basal body temperature as a diagnosis of hypo

Espeegee
Espeegee

I was browsing, as you do lol, and came across this site, I'm probably behind everyone else but anyway, it gives a good insight into the low basal rate that can indicate hypothyroidism. The only difficulty I have is the insistence that you can't use a digital thermometer, surely it has to be competent or what's the use of it? Anyway, it may be worth a squint.

holistic-hypothyroidism-sol...

3 Replies
oldestnewest

So, what we need to use instead is the old-fashioned mercury thermometer, around which this specific temperature test was originally created and standardized. These type of thermometers can still be found in many chemists/pharmacies, and are not particularly expensive. Another way of finding this style of mercury thermometer is to ask for a mercury-based fertility thermometer.

This is annoying. The author has obviously never tried buying a mercury clinical thermometer in the UK! It's illegal.

Espeegee
Espeegee in reply to humanbean

Just what I've discovered! You can buy a mercury thermometer that's mercury free though 😂

humanbean
humanbean in reply to Espeegee

Oh yes, that was annoying too. I'm sure if I was clever enough I could do searches that would exclude "mercury-free" results, but I always forget the syntax for anything except the most straightforward searches.

You may also like...