The Big Burn : I fibromyalgia and neuropathy... - Thyroid UK

Thyroid UK

114,534 members132,911 posts

The Big Burn

Hidden
Hidden

I fibromyalgia and neuropathy which can both cause severe burning (scalded water pain) in various areas of the body. I know that ALA is a wonderful supplement for this - but I also know that it is said to interfere with T4 conversion. This is based on a 1996 study and is supported by some anecdotal evidence.

After 4 years of chaotic thyroid meds, I am now happily settled on NDT with consistently good results. I have no wish to upset this applecart, even if the fire within causes me to self combust.

I know that it's very much worse just now because of intense stress (divorce; house move etc etc) but I just can't get through this without some help with this.

I've been doing some research to find out if there is a minimum amount of ALA I can take without it affecting the meds. One or two sources have suggested that ALA can be taken as long as it's a few hours away from Levo (T3 or T3 content of NDT not affected as it's a conversion issue.). The extract below (source given) endorses that view.

I just can't completely 'buy into' this view. I know that meds will be absorbed pretty quickly - but surely conversion takes place at cellular level?

Can anyone help me with the science of all this please?

On a separate note, what effect ( if any ) can I expect to see in my next blood test (due in about 3 weeks) as a result of the appalling anxiety I'm suffering? Is there any connection?

Hope someone can shed some light.

Many thanks.

"Those people with hypothyroidism and Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis who are taking levothyroxine might want to be cautious about taking alpha lipoic at the same time or shortly after. And the reason for this is because there was a study in 1991 which showed that alpha lipoic acid can affect the conversion of T4 into T3 (12). The study showed that when lipoic acid was taken with levothyroxine for 9 days it suppressed the conversion of T4 to T3 by 56%. This doesn’t mean that you can’t take alpha lipoic acid if you are taking thyroid hormone medication, but just to be on the safe side you might want to take it four hours away from the medication."

Extract from naturalendocrinesolutions.c...

4 Replies
oldestnewest

Well, you wouldn't take it at the same time as levo, anyway, would you? Levo should be taken alone, at least 2 hours away from all other supplements and medication - sometimes more. But, I'm afraid I don't know the science of it all.

Do you know what caused your neuropathy? Have you had your B12 tested? I find that taking B12 does help a little.

I wouldn't have thought that anxiety would have had any effect your your results. It's more than likely the other way round : you are under-medicated and therefore suffer from anxiety. :)

Hidden
Hidden in reply to greygoose

Thanks Greygoose. My neuropathy was a rare side effect of Prozac. I thought that was a stupid remark too. No one takes any other drug with their thyroid meds - do they ???

I'm not under medicated. My anxiety is caused by my abusive husband who is heading for the trash bin.

greygoose
greygoose in reply to Hidden

Really? I've never heard of that. But, unfortunately, some people do take other stuff with their thyroid meds, because the doctor didn't have the wit, or the knowledge, to tell them not to!

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I had one like that - mental abuse. But, I didn't have any thyroid blood tests at that time, so I don't know what effect it would have. Could possibly affect conversion, indirectly. :(

Hidden
Hidden in reply to greygoose

I'll sort it all out. One day I'll look back on all this and laugh - a bit :)

You may also like...