Thyroid UK
85,802 members100,729 posts

Thoughts on symptoms

Hi everyone,

I am currently on 3mg Perrigo T3 which I have been on over a month, I keep trying to add T4 as my brain really struggles without it, but everytime on the 7th day of taking it I find it unbearable, gives me horrible muscle pain, mental side effects, anxiety, etc even on different brands. I am trying to figure out why this is happening as I usually feel well the first few days.

I feel hyper even on 3mg T3, I suffer from horrible brain fog, weird thoughts, pressure headaches which seem to get worse on medication, hyperactivity, ridiculous hunger, anger, I have had some new bloods done to see the current situation, my vitamins are far from optimal but have improved greatly on my new regime, but I am still struggling a lot with medication.

I am wondering if maybe there might be a cortisol/adrenal issue going on. I had my cortisol tested in February which showed a slighted elevated morning cortisol but nothing too major..PMS does affect my symptoms but when this is not the case has anyone found that they are ok first the first few days on T4/T3 and then rapidly decline a few days later? how did you overcome this? I am suffering quite badly with the mental side effects at the moment and feel at a loss with it all.

(My previous vitamin results are on my profile)

THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE 1.73 (mIU/L 0.27 - 4.20)

FREE THYROXINE 12.600 (pmol/L 12.00 - 22.00)

FREE T3 3.75 (pmol/L 3.10 - 6.80)

THYROGLOBULIN ANTIBODY 10.300 (IU/mL 0.00 - 115.00)

THYROID PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES 12 (IU/mL 0.00 - 34.00)

ACTIVE B12 76.200 (pmol/L 25.10 - 165.00) - Taking B12 spray

FOLATE (SERUM) 5.19 (ug/L 2.91 - 50.00)

25 OH VITAMIN D 78.3 (nmol/L 50.00 - 200.00) -

FERRITIN 41.2 (ug/L 13.00 - 150.00)

CALCIUM 2.45 (mmol/L 2.20 - 2.60)

Corrected Calcium 2.39 (mmol/L 2.20 - 2.60)

ALBUMIN 49 (g/L 34 - 50)

Thank you in advance.

12 Replies
oldestnewest

Your vitamin D is too low, needs improving to around 100nmol. How much vitamin D are you supplementing?

Suggest you try vitamin D mouth spray

Also read up on importance of magnesium and vitamin K2 Mk7 when supplementing vitamin D

articles.mercola.com/sites/...

Folate is too low? Are you taking a good vitamin B complex? One with folate in

If you are taking vitamin B complex, or any supplements containing biotin, remember to stop these 3-5 days before any blood tests, as biotin can falsely affect test results

endo.confex.com/endo/2016en...

endocrinenews.endocrine.org...

Ferritin also too low, either get GP to prescribe ferrous fumerate or eating liver or liver pate once a week should help improve

Low vitamins are often result of low stomach acid.

Have you tried improving with Apple cider vinegar or Betaine HCL

thyroidpharmacist.com/artic...

drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/hypochl...

scdlifestyle.com/2012/03/3-...

healthunlocked.com/thyroidu...

healthunlocked.com/thyroidu...

You might try strictly gluten free diet too, even though you don't appear to have Hashimoto's

Not everyone with Hashimoto's has raised antibodies. Have you ever had thyroid ultrasound scan to assess thyroid size and if it's granular (indicates Hashimoto's)

Only add one supplement at a time or make one change at a time

2 likes

Thank you for your suggestions/reply, I am having problems raising my vitamin D with the mouth spray and I think it is due to VDR gene defect.

I am taking B12 but no folate and no B complex as it gives me palpitations. I have started eating liver once a week from Seaside Susies reccommendation and my ferritin has gone from 18 to 41 so will continue with this weekly! I have also srarted celery juice, probiotics in the morning so will see how this goes. I have been gluten free for a number of years and will continue as this does seem to help stomach issues.

I have never had an ultrasound scan but I will request one at my endocrinologist appointment next month as I would like to completely rule out Hashimoto's/nodules, I am just partcularly concenred about my mental state, I am not sure if it is cortisol related, I seem to be becoming more and more distressed. I cannot test my cortisol at the moment but are there any herbs that work for both high and low cortisol that i can use in the meantime? I have also just ordered some vitamin C.

Have you tried Igennus Super B complex. Full daily dose is two pills. You could start/stick on just one per day, perhaps even start with half or quarter. Best taken after breakfast.

How much vitamin D are you supplementing?

Many of us need high dose and/or magnesium as well. Calm vitality magnesium powder is cheap and easy to use (4 hours away from any thyroid hormones) best taken afternoon or evening as it's relaxing and can help sleep.

If you are or have been low in vitamin D, then likely to have low B vitamins. Apparently they need vitamin D in order to grow in our gut. All the B vitamins are important, not just folate and B12. We are often low in B5

drgominak.com/sleep/vitamin...

2 likes

thank you for your help, i tried Biocare B complex which felt very strong, I think I might try folate on it's own first. i have got a magnesium spray so will use that.

I am supplementing 2000iu Vitamin D at the moment, I can't seem to take much at the moment or it gives me further hypo symptoms.

Yes most of B complex like Thornes or Jarrow B right are pretty hefty doses

I found Igennus the gentlest and is very good quality ingredients

1 like

Thank you, do you know of anything good for both high and low cortisol?

B complex - we need B5 for cortisol

Daily Vitamin C

Adrenal cocktail can be good

stopthethyroidmadness.com/a...

Gentle walking, or yoga or similar

2 likes

Thank you!

1 like

Since you get PMS and anger, I'd see about getting sex hormones tested too. Your thyroid results show undermedication, that low free T3 can cause palpitations and mood swings etc. The brain needs lots of T3. Your low ferritin won't be helping either. Active B12 at that level might need supplementing and folate is awful. Vti D would be better at least in the high 90s - can you eat plenty of good fat and get out in the sun a bit?

1 like

Thank you for your help, do you know where is best to get sex hormones tested? I had FSH, LH in February is this the same?

I am eating a high fat diet and think I will aim for at least 15minutes in the sun a day as that is the only thing that seems to raise my levels!

Mine get done by my private endo - but I suspect medichecks, Genova and Blue Horizon do them. FSH and LH is only part of the story, you need oestrogen, progesterone, testosterone and DHEA as well, the balance needs to be correct - levels are different depending on what time of the month the test is done, but I'm no expert.

1 like

Thank you, will have a look into it!

You may also like...