Brain Ache: Hi My thyroid levels are now... - Thyroid UK

Thyroid UK
101,178 members115,374 posts

Brain Ache

Hi

My thyroid levels are now optimised on NDT.

However, i am searching for nutritional support and supplements for the support of severe neuropathic pain and fibromyalgia.

I know that Alpha Lipoic Acid would be ideal, but I'm also aware that this - as well as l-Carnitine are 'no-no' supplenets for those on thyroid meds because they stop conversion of T4 to T3. It's take me four years to sort out my throid meds so I'm not about to start messing them up.

I've already take a prescribed Calcium / Vit D supplement for Osteoporosis along with Magnesium. I also take B12.

I'm about to begin taking additional Vit D with Vitamin K2 and have found a good multivit which doesn't contain iodine. Problem is that when I looked at the formula of the Multivitamin, it does contain small amounts of l- Cartinine and ALA.

Question - do you thin these are in sufficiently small amounts to be safe to take with thyroid meds?

I take all supplements 4 hours away from NDT - and 2 hours away from Gabapentin (which I take 3 x day). It's a real juggling act.

Would be really grateful for any answers to my question.

Maureen x

Nutritional InformationAverage per tablet% EC NRV*

Lutein Esters2 mg–

Green Tea Extract20 mg–

Co-enzyme Q102 mg–

L-Carnitine10 mg–

Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA)20 mg–

Phosphatidylcholine10 mg–

Citrus Bioflavonoid10 mg–

Betacarotene2 mg–

Vitamin D (as D3 400 IU)10 µg200

Vitamin E15 mg α-TE125

Vitamin C60 mg75

Thiamin (Vitamin B1)14 mg1273

Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)4 mg286

Niacin (Vitamin B3)30 mg NE188

Vitamin B610 mg714

Folic Acid200 µg100

Vitamin B125 µg200

Biotin50 µg100

Pantothenic Acid6 mg100

Magnesium60 mg16

Iron10 mg71

Zinc15 mg150

Copper1000 µg100

Manganese0.5 mg25

Selenium120 µg218

Chromium75 µg

5 Replies
oldestnewest

Grincho

That multivitamin supplement contains iron and that will affect absorption of the other active ingredients. Multivitamins really aren't worth bothering with. Most of the ingredient doses are so low they're unlikely to help. Single supplements are best so we always advise to test and supplement with the appropriate dose where we know levels are low.

Thank you Susie.

Any insight into Alpha Lipoic Acid Susie - at 300 mg day?

No, sorry Grincho, it's not something I have any knowledge of.

How about CBD oil? Have you looked into that? Do you take zinc? Have you thought about curcuma?

You may also like...