Thyroid UK
85,584 members100,519 posts

Feeling like I'm losing

It's been two months since I started on medication for hypothyroid and I really feel like I've failed everyone, I started on 50mg Levo but I started to feel like I had concrete for muscles, unable to think clearly, head pressure etc among other symptoms so changed brands, the muscle pain eased a little but my brain fog remained and I started to feel really strange/detached mentally and it really concerned me. Throughout this time I have also been eating more fish and veg and supplementing with Vitamin D3 +K2 as my Vitamin D was a little under range. In this time I found out I had the DI02 defect so 2.5mg Lio was added to my dropped dose of 25mg Levo, the first few days I felt a tiny bit better where I felt like I could speak to people, however after those days things declined pretty quick again where I felt really odd mentally especially in the evenings like I wanted to get out of my own body. The mental aspects have concerned me so much I sometimes feel slightly schizophrenic, and so depressed that I couldn't even look at a car or anything without thinking, what If I just jumped in front of it? or ended it all now my suffering would be over, I have now decided to drop the T4. The muscle pain, head pressure and mental aspects seem to have subsided, but the 2.5 T3 also makes me feel overmedicated and sick so I am wondering whether I should just have a break and focus on vitamins maybe?

I understand I need patience and I won't feel better immediately, but my new symptoms have worried me so much I felt for the sake of my family and relationship that I need to have a break in my medication. I don't understand why I have so little willpower over this disease, I wonder if something else is going on and that's why things are getting so much worse, I've had to quit my job and I have hardly been able to go anywhere further than the shop up the road. Sorry for such a long post but I really feel like no-one can help me but myself and I really don't have the willpower. All my latest results are below.

- 25 lEvo 2.5 Lio

THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE 1.93 (mIU/L 0.27 - 4.20)

FREE THYROXINE 14.3 (pmol/L 12.00 - 22.00)

FREE T3 4.18 (pmol/L 3.10 - 6.80)

25 OH Vitamin D * 44 (nmol/L 50 –200)

D.H.E.A. SULPHATE *11.400 (umol/L 0.26 - 11.00)

REVERSE T3 22 (ng/dL 10 - 24)

IRON *38.75 (umol/L 6.60 -26.00)

T.I.B.C 60.75 (umol/L 41.00 -77.00)

TRANSFERRIN SATURATION *63.79 % (20.00 -55.00)

FERRITIN 33 (ug/L 13.00 -150.00)

ACTIVE B12 56.300 (pmol/L 25.10 -165.00)

FOLATE (SERUM) 5.59 (ug/L 2.91 -50.00)

19 Replies
oldestnewest

My dear girl! Please don't feel like that. You haven't let anyone down - none of this is your fault! It's not a question of will power. You can't get over low hormones by force of will. You need thyroid hormone replacement.

On those labs, you are still hypo. 2.5 mcg T3 is a rediculously small dose. And, it's perfectly possible that the levo didn't suit you, so it was a good idea to stop that, but you can't stop the T3. You've got to have something.

Your vit d wasn't just slightly under-range, it is utterly dire. It should be up about 100. Not only that but your B12 and folate are also too low, and you should be supplementing those. Low B12 will make you feel terrible!

So, I think we need a little more detail. How much vit D3 are you taking? Are you taking magnesium as well?

I don't know an awful lot about nutrients, so I hope that SeasideSusie will soon be along to advise you. But, seems to me there's something queer about your iron. Are you taking iron supplements?

You probably feel that 2.5 mcg T3 is making you over-medicated because of your low nutrients, but I can assure you, you really aren't over-medicated. Your FT3 isn't even mid-range, so not surprising you feel bad. But, I wouldn't advise you to stop it.

When you had that test done, was it early morning and fasting? Did you leave a 24 hour gap between the last dose of levo and the blood draw, and a 12 hour gap for the T3? And how long had you been on that dose when the test was done?

Seems to me there's been a lot of chopping and changing in just two months, so that won't have helped the way you feel. Might be an idea to wait for six weeks after dropping the levo before getting another test. But, do stop blaming yourself. That isn't going to help. You will get well with time and patience, and finding the right dose. And we're here to support you all the way, so you're not alone. Take care. x :)

5 likes

Hi grey goose,

Thank you for your reply. I was taking 10,000iu Vitamin D3 with K2 a day but now taking 6,000iu a day, I have also been taking it with magnesium spray, but I think I need another retest as not knowing where I am is making me feel nervous.

With the iron I did take 5mg liquid iron for a few days as my ferritin was low but then stopped based on my full iron blood test results because they went over range, SeasideSusie recommended liver to raise ferritin but I was raised pescatarian so I don't really eat meat and am worried to eat the liver as I'm not sure I will be able to digest it very well.

I have been doing my bloods 24 hours away from dosage at 8:15am each time, however I think this is giving me inaccurate T3 results as I take that in the afternoon and morning, I had been on that dose for 2 weeks when the test was done too, I do have high cortisol in the morning so I am wondering if I should avoid taking my T3 around this time..

There has been so much changing I'm worried I am going to burn out my adrenals, thank you again x

No, I don't think you're going to burn out your adrenals, they're pretty hardy little things. :) But, it would be a good idea to get a 24 hour saliva cortisol test, if you haven't already.

Glad to see Susie is advising you on your nutrients, so I won't add anything to that. But, you're right, it would be a good idea to get retested to see where you are.

The only way to find out if you can digest liver is to try it. But, start very low, just a tiny piece, and build up slowly.

You probably have got a false low in your FT3 test is you left more than 12 hours. So, for the next test, best to take your T3 a bit later the afternoon before. Although, I have to say, that splitting such a tiny dose is not really a good idea. It won't give you nearly enough T3 in your system at any given time to flood your receptors. Have you tried taking it all in one go? Maybe try taking it all in one go before bed?

Testing 2 weeks after starting a new dose of levo is a bit soon. You need to leave six weeks to get the full effects. As you'd just reduced your dose, it wouldn't all be out of your system, so your FT4 would probably be lower, now. But, as you've stopped taking it, it doesn't really matter, anyway.

1 like

Thank you, I tried taking my t3 all in one go but I had a really horrible adrenaline/headrush an hour after so I am reluctant to try again.

What time of day was that?

9:30am

Well, try taking it all in one go just before bed - at least two hours after your last meal. Lots of people find that is preferable.

1 like

Thank you, will have a go

You can always go back to the way you were taking it before, if that doesn't suit. :)

1 like

Thank you, I think I am just still so anxious from this disease that doing anything/any changes tips me over the edge.

Yes, that's a hypo symptom!

1 like

Your ferritin must be at least halfway in its range otherwise you dimply cannot utilise or convert the t4 in levo .....like it or not you either need to supplement with iron or eat liver or take dessicated beef liver pills

1 like

Thank you, I think i need dissected beef liver pills.

As Greygoose has mentioned, how much D3 are you taking and are you also taking magnesium as it allows the body to use the D3.

Active B12 below 70 suggests that an MMA test should be carried out viapath.co.uk/our-tests/act...

Your Folate is far too low, it needs to be at least half way through range, a good B Complex will help raise it, eg Thorne Basic B.

What has your GP said about above range serum iron this should be between 55-70% of range, and above range transferrin saturation which have should be 35-45% of range.

rt3-adrenals.org/Iron_test_...

Your Ferritin needs to be at least 70 for thyroid hormone to work so you should stay eating liver every week, no more than 200g.

Your DHEA is over range. Presumably this is a private test, what about cortisol, DHEA and cortisol are best done together with a 24 hour saliva test to give a full picture for proper interpretation.

1 like

Hi Seasidesusie,

I was taking 10,000iu Vitamin D3 with K2 a day but now taking 6,000iu a day, I have also been taking it with magnesium spray.

How could I get an MMA test carried out?

My GP hasn't said much about my iron, just to stop supplementing as it was over range, i had my cortisol tested and the results were as below:

CORTISOL (SALIVA) WAKING *41.500 (nmol/L 6.00 -21.00)

CORTISOL (SALIVA) 12:00 (7.220 nmol/L 1.50 -7.60)

CORTISOL (SALIVA) 16:00 (1.510 nmol/L 0.00 -5.49)

CORTISOL (SALIVA) BEFORE BED <1.5 (nmol/L 0.00 -1.99)

Interpretation of adrenal tests drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Adrenal...

"How could I get an MMA test carried out?"

Show the article to your GP and ask him to do it.

I would read through all the iron articles on the rT3 adrenals website, iron is complicated.

1 like

Thank you xx

IRON *38.75 (umol/L 6.60 -26.00)

T.I.B.C 60.75 (umol/L 41.00 -77.00)

TRANSFERRIN SATURATION *63.79 % (20.00 -55.00)

FERRITIN 33 (ug/L 13.00 -150.00)

Your serum iron and transferrin saturation are substantially over the range.

Your iron is not being pushed into ferritin as it should be.

Stop taking iron supplements now! You will be depositing iron in parts of the body that it is not a good idea to have iron, and the body struggles to get rid of it.

It is possible you have a problem with something called methylation, which is caused by a genetic fault referred to as MTHFR. It is not a rare problem, it is actually very common. Many people can improve their methylation with some easily obtained supplements, so it isn't necessarily a major problem.

I have to go and do stuff now, but I'll write more on the subject later.

4 likes

I agree, iron is toxic. I would try to increase the iron absorption by taking for example lactoferrin, has helped many.

1 like

You may also like...