Thyroid UK
84,334 members99,332 posts

Depressed of Eastbourne

As you know I am looking for adrenal boosters, Amazon sell ASHWAGANDA EXTRACT which is an Indian AYURVEDIC herb loaded with ACTIVE WITHANOLIDE.

Can anyone tell me if this would react with or harm the effect of my conventional meds as detailed.

ADCAL D3, NEBIVOLOL, APIXABAN, METFORMIN, ATORVASTATIN, OMEPRAZOLE, FYBOGEL, MEBEVERINE TABS & ZOPICLONE

9 Replies
oldestnewest

Be surprised if anyone knows see WebMD.

thank you

Ashwagandha is an adaptogen. Adaptogens, in my experience, are better at lowering cortisol than raising it. So, be very wary. Plus, it does not suit everyone. Keep a close eye on symptoms.

thanks will do

1 like

I doubt anyone on here has the knowledge to be able to tell you of any interactions with all those medications.

You can Google all the different combinations eg "X + Y interactions".

I agree with Greygoose about Ashwagandha lowering cortisol, that has been my experience as it was in a combination of adaptogens I was recommended to take by a practioner to lower my cortisol.

ok thanks you and greygoose seem to be right, having said that i want to raise up my adrenals currently lowish at 228 units and Indian Ayurvedic medicine appears to do the trick ???

Advise you to talk to a skilled holistic practitioner who is skilled in balancing hormones about interactions of meds.

agreed, thanks

If you use the same pharmacy my advice would be to have a chat with them. Although they would be unlikely to give any advice on taking medication not prescribed by your GP they will have all your medication details on computer and have a system that picks up on any contraindications.